Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

George L's Cable question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jugdish, Feb 27, 2001.

1. jugdish

jugdish

May 25, 2000
    Orange County
    On their site the have to wire types .155 and .225. What is the difference besides diameter. Could a bassist and guitarist use the same gauge?

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

This is just a guess because I am not sure of what you are talking about. Are you talking about cables that connect guitars and basses to amps? If so, the difference in guage you refer to can be deceptive because the smaller the number, the thicker the wire inside the cable. When all else is equal, it is better to choose the heavier guage.

Guitars and basses can use the same cable. I have often lent an extra one to a band member in need. Make sure it is instrument cable and not speaker cable, though. They often look alike, but speaker cable is unshielded and instrument cable is shielded. If you use cable that is made for connecting speakers to amps, your bass will not sound as good and if you use an instrument cable to connect your speaker to your amp, your speakers will not work as well.

JO

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I use the skinny ones and didn't know there was a choice. The website says that the larger cable has all the features of the 'normal' one. If you havent tried them they are awesome. I forgot to take mine to church one day and spent half an hour trying to eq in what I lost. They are not that expensive and easy to fix. I have a long lead a very long lead and a patch cable. Two guitarists in the church use them and the third is thinking about getting one.
    I dont work for them I am just a satisfied customer.

4. i use the george l's the 225's and there great i think it was bass player( i'm english so hey)
    that recommended the 225 for bass,, its not that thick so u may want to get your hands on some before u buy,, it's the best cable i have had to date and relativley cheap

stu