Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

George L's cables in a pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mlwarriner, Dec 10, 2004.

1. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    i hope this is the right place for this thread. if not, i guess i'll find it moved sooner or later...but anyhow...

i've decided to rewire my pedalboard with george l's cables as soon as i get a board big enough to hold them all. musicians friend lists 2 different DIY cable kits from george l's. both have the same length of cable, the same number of connectors, cable is listed as the same gauge, and they're the same price. the only difference that i can see is that one has red cable and the other has black.

is there any physical difference between these two? or is it just that one has red cable and the other has black?

please and thanks!

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The red is George L's "Vintage Red". It's the same as thier standard .155 cable, just colored red in recognition of Eric Johnson's long-time use of red cables.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    all i can say, is that i love my George L cable a whole lot.....as flimsy as it seems, it is sooooo much better than my regular cables and sounds really good - i really need to get a cable from my pre to my power amp - i'm am sure it would take my tone to the next level as well.

4. No sound difference whatsoever between the black and red.

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis

You won't notice much difference changing the cable from pre to power amp. It's a very short length and the signal is strong. The George Ls and other high quality cables can make a real difference with long runs on low-level signals (bass to amp, for example, particularly a passive bass). Still, tone is a cumulative thing, and it would be one more good connection.

Just don't expect to hear much of a change, if any.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I got a bad batch of George L's a while ago, I wired up two boards for other people, then my own came a batch of duds. It's easy to work with, cut to fit perfectly, but I wouldn't invest 'til your setup is pretty final.

7. mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    is anyone's setup ever really "final"? i know i'm always looking for new and different pedals... :)

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used them for about 6 months on my pedalboard, then started having occassional dropouts/glitches when stomping on pedals. Apparently they loosed over time and lost firm connection. Not good for me. I ended up going back to soldered cords, more reliable in my situation.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    mine are fine and i'm rough with my cables

10. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    My experience is similiar to Eric's, I've had a couple of connections fizzle out within the past year on my pedal board.

11. mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    is there any way, or is it even necessary, to somehow "lock" the connection? to keep the screws from backing out or whatever???

12. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Yeah, you can use Loktite (blue not red, so you can undo them if needed). But I've never had any problems in 3 years of using them. Especially in a pedalboard, if the connections are made correctly the first time, you shouldn't have any issues. There isn't any mechanical stress or cable movement. Maybe if you wired things up under tension, but if you leave just a little slack, no issues.

I also use them for guitar > pedalboard and guitar > amp, but if you're active on stage they might not be the best choice for you.