George L's cables

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ColForbs, Aug 18, 2001.

1. ColForbs

Jul 21, 2001
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I have a little 'studio' and a guitar player mate come round one day with a Gearge L cable. I had my guitar and amp set up before he arrived. He said plug this in. In a direct AB test with a Peavey lead (no effects) there was more clarity and bite to the sound. The problem is that if you have loads of pedals it can get expensive. I use two long leads and two patch cables.

My main bass set up is a Stingray 5 a Trace Elliot V4 and a Hartke 4x10. One day I kept fiddling with the eq cos I was not happy with the sound. THen I realiased that I had left my George L at home and was using a 'house' Whirlwind.

Theres some actual examples but my ears are in the equation.

The other advantage is that they can be repaired with a screwdriver and cutters (no solder).
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I use 'em on some stuff. They sound good to me. BP did a comparison, and rated George L's among the highest for affordable cables (including Monster).
  4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I'll second the recommendation. My rack rig is wired with .155 George L's now, very easy to make custom lengths, and while I've been soldering cables for a lot of years, their solderless connectors are quite intelligently made and easy to use. I have, however, used some of this very low capacitance cable in project A/B boxes and have made short jumpers using standard soldered ends and George L's cable.

I also use a pair of the .250 cables, each with small straight ends, as instrument cables to my two basses. I've used them since the beginning of the year with no problems.

I did an A/B test against a few other cables I have on hand and noticed a clarity and transparency in the top end. While it's not that big of a deal in a live situation, I'd sure use them or something equivalent in the studio. However, every little bit counts and contributes to your live sound, and they aren't that expensive and custom lengths are a breeze.
  5. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Not strictly amp related, so away to Miscellaneous with you...
  6. i'd have to agree with Bob, they are nice to use, it takes a matter of seconds to attatch the ends and your away.

the only problem i found was that sometimes they sound a little too bright, i suppose you could adjust the Eq on your bass or amp to accomodate the sound, but i have now moved to a different cable .

for longer lengths i'm using some Klotz la' grange unbalanced instrument cable, its really nice i love the sound of it, really warm. for jacks i'm using a straight and right angled neutrik. there good aswell.

i soldered it all myself, with only a few burns :) they really need a lot of flux to take.

thumbs up for the george L's just remember to get the .250, the .125's are way too thin.