Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GEORGE L'S INSTRUMENT CABLES-WOW

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassjam, Apr 6, 2005.

1. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    not sure where to post this so mods please be gentle.i recently picked up a george l's instrument cable at advise of a guitar player friend of mine.they look odd as they are .155mm in width,much skinnier than a standard cable,thus they roll up to less than half the size of my other cables.i tried his and liked it so i bought one.a/b it with my monster cable and couldnt believe it.the george was my fav hands down.so crystal clear,even my ringing ears could tell a differece.

anyone else try these?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I love 'em... been using 'em as my main cable for a few years now. They do seem to have a bit more transparency than the other cables I was using... but even if they don't, I like how they're easy to roll up into a compact coil.

The only downside I've found: when setting up for a dock bar gig, one end slipped thru the timbers of the dock and into the creek... the cable stopped functioning until it dried out (no biggie, I always carry spares).

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Use 'em and dig 'em! ;)

4. I use Goerge L's speaker cables to go from my amp to my speakers,
    and 6 inch George L's instrument cables to go from my pre amp to my amp.
    I've noticed an increase in clarity, and plan to use them to go
    from my wireless to tuner to pre amp as well.
    They were recommended to me by a fellow bass player here
    in town. Just happend to run into him one day as I was comming
    out of a local music store, and he said, "you've just got to get 'em".
    So, I walked back in and got 'em. I've never looked back.
    Great cables.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It won't be long until somebody comes along and tells you that nobody can hear a difference between decent quality shielded cables in a double blind test. Where is that can of worms picture?:D

6. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    0.155mm?? Damn, thats a thin cable.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You rang????

8. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmm... interesting. Where can I find these cables? Coiling up small sounds good to me.

-T

9. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    i found mine in a local music store.bass player had ad ad of theres and i hear they frequent guitar shows everywhere.i cant believe ive never heard of them.

10. I like to use them when I record. There's a nice open feel to the top end with them. I have A/B'd them using a Strat against one of those crummy tweed Fender cables and I could hear a significant difference. They aren't too expensive to put together either.

11. I've not had a chance to use them, but there was a thread on "the bottom line list serve", where a number of experienced players chimed in. They all seemed to prefer Bill lawerance cables, but since these are no longer available, the next choice were George L cables. These are thinner w/ NO soldier ends. IIRC these cables had a lower impedance, and were sheiled better and as everyone above mentions they heard a more transparent sound. The other top end cable mentioned were cardas

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Actually, Bill Lawrence cables *are* available, but maybe not in the same form as they used to be.

What they do now is, they they sell you 50 feet of cable and 10 plugs for $48. You cut the cable to the length(s) you want, and put the cables on. Voila. They also now sell a shorter plug specifically for use in foot pedal hookups.

Putting the plugs on could not be easier. You just back out the screw in the side, insert the cable firmly, then screw in the screw *until it's flush with the plug*. That's it.

The cable looks delicate but is tougher than it looks. Bill claims that you ought to be able to pull one of his cables out of a guitar or an amp by yanking on the cable (rather than the plug) without destroying the electrical connection; his thing is, if a cable isn't tough enough for that, it's not worth using. I tried it once or twice with my BL cables to see if it could be done, and it can. I still don't do it as a routine thing, though--I always pull the cable out by the plug! It's just nice to know that the cables are tough enough to allow that.

13. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    George L just offers one kind of cable, right? Aside from length and color differences?

-T

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Last I saw they offered two thicknesses, .155 and .255.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I like how easy they are to bring to any size. Im using them to wire my pedal board.

16. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks... any sound/functional difference to the two thicknesses? Just trying to see which one would be best to replace my Monster bass cable going from my bass to amp input. I always have a hard time getting it to wind up and fit in my bass case in one of the compartments. Coiling up thinner and smaller would be perfect. Backup to my wireless.

-T

17. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz

i called "george l's" and asked them that very question. the answer was they are the same cord with the thicker one haveing more insulation around the same core.they said some players like having a standard size cord and the thicker one lays heavier on stage.i like the thinner one personally.i think for the price they are worth a shot.i like it better than my monster cable.

transverse-if you want to try one let me know.today the local music store sold me a spool of the cable and a bunch of ends at a heck of a deal.pm me and ill send you one for what i got in it.

18. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I use the .225 vintage red for leads and the .155 for in between FX pedals.

the place I buy from sells it for .75 a foot
    and the ends are 3.75 each. The "stretch" plugs are a bit longer and have a little more mass to them..so they are nice for leads..making a bit easier to grab when plugging in and out.
    The ends come in unplated(brass), chrome and gold plating.
    There's a slight bit of high end roll off with the unplated brass ends compared to the chrome plated.

JMI Music

19. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I should mention..that GeorgeL's are solderless cables and ends that you make any length you need. They are a push on with a set screw type of arrangement. The stress jackets are also very cool to have for the lead cables.

that was for the folks who don't know about the GeorgeL stuff...my apologies for those of you that know that :)

20. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the info bassjam and Alembic! Very helpful.

*edit* - Bassjam, I just noticed the last part of your post. PM coming your way! :D

So hmm, let's see. For the thicker cable, at .75 per foot, and 3.75 for the ends, a 20ft cable would be $15.00 + $7.50 = $22.50. Not bad! As long as they are reliable as everyone seems to say they are, I'm down with that.