George L's or Planet Waves

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jul 2, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Hands up whos using a nice expensive bass with a costly rig and some pricey pedals. Keep your hand up if you have them wired up with cheap cheap cheap patch cables. :hyper: no hand smiley so i'll jump up and down.

I was concidering the george l's effects kit (couple of metres of cable and 10 jacks) or planet wave patch cables.

Now there are ups and downs with both. The planet waves are very expensive nearly 50% more than the george l's but there planet waves (gold ends, compression springs, lifetime warenty, etc).

The george l's are cheaper but they have the whole some assembly required which i'm not sure would be to bad, plus there a shop near me that sells these cables and plugs, incase I need a bit extra and don't want a full kit again.

What do you guys think.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The advantage of George L's is that you can use only lengths you need, keeping tangles off your board.

I like the concept, and I've wired boards for customers like that, but when I tried wiring my own, I got a bad bunch of cable.
  3. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Not that this answers your specific question, but I use a Planet Waves Circuit Breaker instrument cable (the one with the switch in the plug) and I love it. Excellent quality, and it's available in a Goldilocks-"just right" length of 15 feet. It even comes with a nifty little elastic coil keeper thing. Much neater than the messy/ugly velcro straps that Monsters come with.

They now make them with right angle plugs at the instrument end, but only in 10 and 20 feet.

So not the info you're looking for, but a thumbs up for PW design and quality.
  4. George L's can be a pain in the ass. If you go with them, cut the cable with a razor blade and not wire cutters. Use vice grips or pliers to screw the caps down, because they will settle in and loosen up. And definitely check them before routing them on your board.

I made all mine with George L's...making all the mistakes I told you to avoid, and half of them had poor audio quality. Once you make a cable to the perfect length, and then it's not right when you test have to cut about an inch off each one to re-use the cable (1/2" from each side because you don't know what side's bad).

I have since bought all new cable and re-done my entire board with the correct technique, but I'm always worried that the caps will loosen up or the ground wire will somehow crimp into the lead and jack up my tone.

If I didn't own 28 right angle ends (pedalboard AND rack), I'd replace them.
  5. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey 'Phat,

I'm planning on doing up my pedalboard this weekend with George L's... not sure what you mean by cutting the cable with a razor blade. How do you cut through the wire itself with a razor blade? Don't you have to get out the wire cutter for that?
  6. A razor blade (carpenter's knife, x-acto knife, or box cutter) is what you need. A new blade will cut through the insulation and copper just fine. Wire cutters aren't really all that sharp, but they pinch the copper wire to the point that it breaks. When you have 2-lead insulated wire, and you cut it with wire cutters, the negative and positive leads can be pinched into each other, causing a faulty circuit. Or, you can pinch the insulation to the point that there isn't enough insulation space between the neg/pos to maintain a clean signal.
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've used the George L's in the past, as well as Monster patch cables. If I had to do it all over again, I would got with the Planet Waves (depending on my pedalboard space). The Planet Waves are superior as far as construction goes, but the ends are a little bigger and the cabling is fatter. Ultimately, both are good cables; it just depends on whether you are trying to squeeze 22 very large pedals onto a 4'x3' board.
  8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Check with your local music store and see if they have the Planet Waves cable station. I saw it at NAMM, and stores have the ability to make any kind of cable you need, any legnth, with whatever ends. I've never used a George L's cable, but I have used Planet Waves in the past and liked them.

Maybe one of these days I'll actually buy a cable station :) (probably not ;))
  9. Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    I would have to agree with Mo' Phat. I just re-wired my pedal board this week with George Ls and it took freakin forever. Then to top it all off my tone seemed to suffer (even after replacing a bunch or the cables) after I plugged it all in. Even with my (True Bypass) pedals off my tone was colored and my volume dropped off :crying: