1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

George L's, Planet Waves or other patch cables...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stflbn, Mar 28, 2011.

1. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    As in the title... which do people prefer. George L's, Planet Waves, or some other patch cables.

I'm putting the finishing touches on my small pedalboard and basic 6" right angle plugs aren't cutting it due to non-typical pedals.

Thoughts and reasoning is appreciated.

2. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    I've found them all to be pretty much the same aside from connectors size. Just depends on how much space you want to save. Lava is the smallest, planet waves is the biggest.

3. ia02

ia02

Nov 30, 2008
    neutrik+canare or neutrik+mogami = bombproof

4. I'm in the same spot...part of me thinks 'kit' and part of me wants to buy a decent soldering iron and do it that way. If I buy a kit, I'm thinking Lava.

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I'm becoming less and less scared of soldering up my own cables,...but is some instances (such as a fully loaded BOSS LS-2) the smaller connectors in the George L's and Lava kits are handy.

That said I think you'll find that on bigger boards it's way cheaper to solder your own; if you don't include your time spent.

George L's plugs are about $5.50-$6.00 a piece (I forget how much the local shop charges for them).

Switchcraft and Neutrik Plugs are about $3-$5.00 a piece.

The George L's .155 cable is $1.95 a foot on the George L's site.

Instrument cable from EWI Audiopile is $.35 (cents) a foot.

I couldn't really find bulk prices on Canare and Mogami.

Suffice it to say it adds up if you need to wire up a large pedalboard.

A decent soldering iron with temperature control isn't exactly cheap either,...but I think you'd get more use out of a soldering iron than a solderless patch cable kit (DIY pedals,...electronics repairs).

That said,...my board is wired up with a mixture of George L's and Dimarzio patches from the GC accessories counter.

I'm growing more and more comfortable in my DIY skills so ultimately I'll be replacing the George L's with my own cables,...likely using the EWI cable (I know some FOH guys that are stoked on their snakes) and Switchcraft plugs.

6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I've used both George L's and Planet Waves.

I prefer the George L's because of their smaller diameter cable which is a lot more convenient when snaking through tight spots on a crowded board. The right angle jacks are also slightly narrower than the Planet Waves jacks, again an asset when trying to cram a lotta boxes into a limited footprint.

7. phatbass30

phatbass30

Dec 24, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Groove is in the heart!!!
    I've been using lava solderless kit for more than a year now. It's really small. Very useful if you wanna cram all your pedals in a small board.

8. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Another vote for Lava. And there is a difference is tone. Though, they will callus the side of your index finger if you assemble too many in a row!

9. phatbass30

phatbass30

Dec 24, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Groove is in the heart!!!
    +1! my fingers hurts all the time after rearranging my board! lol!

10. I'm tone deaf when it comes to cables but I do have a preference for those 'pancake' cables because you might be able to squeeze in another pedal.

11. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    So is everyone else, but some people imagine they're not :bag:

12. Motasimo

Motasimo

Jan 28, 2011
    I plan on buying either some Neutrik or Switchcraft plugs and some bulk mogami or similar cable and solder up my own custom cables. Should be a fun little project. :cool:

13. :bassist:

14. My vote goes to lava. As mentioned they have the smallest plugs, and the sound quality is great. I've been using them about 6 months with no trouble.

15. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    i like the george l's, but i've never tried any other solderless brand. i will say that although i love the george l's, i have had a couple come loose on me. i set aside some time once a month for gear maintenance which includes changing strings, fixing tolex rips, etc. i've added tightening my george l's ends and i've had no problems since.

16. Nerotic

Nerotic Guest

Sep 17, 2008
    Another vote for Lava! Great quality, easy and fast to assemble.
    I've never had a single one come loose, but I also use pliers covered in rubber to tighten the plugs without damaging them.

17. muzik316

muzik316

Apr 12, 2011
    So yeah cables... I'm running an M9, Ernie Ball Expression, and the Aguilar Compression (should be here in a day or so) on a PT JR. I really need just a few cables not a whole kit. Do they sell anything good in single cables or smaller kits? I can't seem to find anything anywhere and I really don't want to drop almost $70 for 2-4 cables. I will be adding a wireless receiver to my board down the road for my sax mic and to run it through the M9 for some effects (think Jeff Coffin from Bela Fleck and the Flecktones and the Dave Mathews Band) but I can always add more cable later. What do you guys think?

18. I've had good luck with Fender-branded cables - dead silent, flexible, and around $8 for a 12". They're not the lowest-profile head tho, but this means that a low-profile (DiMarzio, for example) can basically fit under the Fender head nicely. The heads are molded also, so there's no real way to repair them without cutting the old head off and replacing it.

19. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    ZAOLLA SILVERLINE!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021