Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

George L's Plugs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassTerd, Oct 16, 2005.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Whats the deal with the george l's solderless plugs?
    I know the cable itself sounds pretty good. I'm wondering if the plugs also contribute to the way these cables sound. Are there any sonic differences between george l plugs and neutrik or switchcraft?
    Just curious.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well, i'm biased, but I think my cables sound great! :) They sound clearer than other cable I have tried, but I am biased.

George L's haven't failed me yet.

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    there are some small problems with george L's after giving them the long term test. IF you dont get the cable screwed in just right it will go in and out on you, but a problem easily fixed due to the solderless connection. The cables themselves are easily torn also. They arent jacketed in anything so you step on them or hurt them much they will rip and it will compromise your sound. They also are so thin they tangle easily. All that said they are the best cables ive ever used. Sound wise they are the best. Ive found that live they are kinda a pain but you wont find a better cable in the studio.

4. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I know a lot of people that use GL cable with different plugs(Switchcraft usually). I still think that you should never have a problem with them as long as you build them correctly, use the thicker gauge and stress relief jackets.

Wrong forum BTW. :)

5. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The reason i'm asking is becuase I have a small piece of george l cable laying around and wanted to solder on some switchcraft plugs on since I don't have the george l screw on's and was wondering if it would alter the cable sonically.

ALso,
    Has anybody used the thicker cable George offers? How do they hold up?

6. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I use George L's as patch cords only. If they're not used harshly they're great. But running to your bass with George L's is asking for a short.

Fo

7. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    How would it short?

8. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I once tried to wire my rack with George L's, but have had hit or miss success with short ones. Doesn't make any sense. Some work, some don't.

They are a bit delicate as instrument leads, but they are pretty quiet. I don't think I'm auditorially hallucinating, but I think the brass plugs sound the best.