1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

George L's vs. DiMarzio cables?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mmbongo, Mar 18, 2013.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Which do you like better? I'm totally redoing my board and wondering which ones to go with. I'm going to do away with my homemade cables with those huge pancake connectors.

I've already got a few DiMarzio cables and I love the connectors because they are tiny, but the cables can be a bit stiff and hard to turn/bend.

How reliable are the George L's?

And these two are my only real choices, I need to use my Sam Ash credit :)

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've had a lot of trouble with George Ls. YMMV

3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I switched from DiMarzio to George L's maybe a year ago. The George L's are definitely easier to work with, especially if you have a cramped pedal board.

I did have one fail on me. I think it may have been my fault, in that I may not have pushed the wire far enough into the plug when I made the patch cable. It was very easily remedied, though. You can make patch cables in seconds with the George L's, and I don't see how the 1/4" plugs could ever fail, even if the cable does, and in any event the plugs themselves have a lifetime warranty.

4. Stretchhh

Stretchhh

Jan 10, 2012
    WA, Australia
    Right angle George L's are unreliable from my experience.

5. Any facts to back up that comment?
    I've just ordered 2 kits and I'd like to know a bit more about any problems.
    Cheers!

6. My friend warned me about George L's. Luckily enough I didn't listen too closely. I only use angled George L's since about 2 years back. Have never had any problems with them. I have no experience with the straight ones though.

No experience with DiMarzio either.

Cheers,
    Karl

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    ALL reports of unreliability of George L's, straight or angled, are based on how the individual user assembled them. There is nothing inherently unreliable about the cables or the plugs. There are two problems though: it is very easy to do a bad job of assembling them, and they can come unscrewed as you handle/move the cables. The first one is solved by practice and attention. The second one is solved with a dab of thread-locking glue.

8. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    I have George L's cables that I put together 12 years ago that are still gigging. The few times one has failed, it took less than three minutes to get working again. A bit of care has to taken in assembling them, especially the right angle ones, but this is much, much simpler and easier than soldering and, when done correctly, completely reliable. It also makes putting together a pedal board a breeze. A great help is a cable tester. Just check the cable once you've put it together, and there will rarely be any surprises.

9. Stretchhh

Stretchhh

Jan 10, 2012
    WA, Australia
    I am not going to try argue those facts but I had issues with them shorting out due the screw cutting the wire. At the price I paid I would expect better quality to avoid that sort of issue occurring especially during gigs.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The only reason the screw cuts the wire is if you tighten it too far. It has nothing to do with quality.

Point being, it's a common user error to think they're supposed to tighten those RA caps all the way down.

The reason there is extra room for tightening is because there are different thicknesses of coax you can use with those plugs.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I just went with the DiMarzio's. I only really needed 3 cables anyway and just don't feel like dealing with making...and remaking..and repairing cables.