1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

George Lucas says Hollywood won't support black films

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marlat, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Source: BBC News - George Lucas says Hollywood won't support black films‎

I'm surprised that George Lucas couldn't get Hollywood support, regardless of the subject matter. In any event, I'm looking forward to the film.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Lucas is just being honest. Black actors may be popular, but black films without significant white roles tend to be niche films. It is key to note that foreign reciepts are a big concern. Films with black stars don't do well abroad. The problem selling these films abroad is actually more of an issue than the US market.

I think Red Tails will probably do well in America because it talks about racism during WWII, not today, and it is also a movie where the black characters are clearly patriotic.

3. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I am so happy that I would never classify a movie as white or black because the skin color of the people playing the roles. IMO is a shame for the human being that in 2012 we still have this ''white'', ''black'' thing.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    What are you so happy about? Sometimes race is central to what a movie is about. Red Tails is about the Tuskeegee Airmen, a group of pilots who served when the military was segregated, and they were treated much more poorly than their white peers. That is their story, to pretend race had nothing to do with it is just dishonest, not enlightened.

Would you watch Schindler's List or Fiddler on the Roof and pretend it had nothing to do with Jews?

5. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    Well Tyler Perry doesn't seem to have any problem doing it.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I am excited to see this movie because I love history. Having Cuba Gooding Jr. in it is a bonus for me. The one thing I don't look forward to is I'm sure some of the main characters will die, which will make me sad.

On a lighter note, if all the main actors are black, so much for the "the black dude always dies first" stereotype. :)

Edit....wasn't there another movie about the Tuskeegee Airmen already with Cuba in it?

-Mike

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Did you read what Lucas said? Tyler Perry movies are low budget, and don't have to do Harry Potter level business to be profitable.

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think that's addressed in the article:

Basically he's saying that Tyler Perry films arn't released by the major studios.

9. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    much of the story was filmed in Europe and very few locals were familiar with any of the cast according to Ne-Yo. (the lead actors were on 106 & Park this week) i'm sure the movie will do well over several years due to (hopefully) it's historic significance. plus, everyone should LOVE a war flick involving "Mista Hitlah"!!! ;)

10. All issues of race aside - I view this as a question of the available market and the demand for a given type of movie. According to wikipedia, the US population is 63.7% "white", and 12.2% "black". If you assume that the movie-going / movie-purchasing crowd is represented by the same demographics, this suggests to me that movies appealing to most 'white' audiences would account for ~2/3 of movies, while 'black' movies would be approximately 1/8 of the movies produced.

If you were being asked to fund a project with many millions of dollars, whose subject deals with 1/8th of people who are likely to attend such a movie, with limited foreign sales, would YOU back it financially? I certainly would not. I would stick with the same tripe that is guaranteed to make me more millions.

The same reason that "black movies" are not as well funded / received is the same reason why we don't have significantly more "Mr. Bean" movies, or why modern movie remakes do not include the Marx Brothers "Duck Soup", or Tony Curtis / Jack Lemmon's "The Great Race". Not enough demand for them.

11. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    News flash, Lucas. Hollywood already made a very successful film about the Tuskegee Airmen. I think it was called, let's see, "The Tuskegee Airmen".

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Are you referring to the HBO TV movie? I don't recall their being a Hollywood film on the same subject.

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I saw the trailers for this film, and it looks cool, but one thing that drives me nuts is when they put modern music (in this case dubstep style stuff) in to accompany a time piece film.

14. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I didn't know who produced it, but a quick Wikipedia check says yes. It also says HBO invested a reported $8.5 million, "the largest investment in a telefilm project to date".

There are many points in this article to question. Here's a few:

Isn't Hollywood supposed to be a forward thinking, civil rights promoting hot bed of free expression and ideas?
    Could there possibly other reasons that companies didn't think the movie would do well?
    Does anyone think that blacks aren't well represented in American entertainment?
    Could this be an attempt to generate publicity for a new release?

FWIW I don't go to the movies, but I'm sure I'll rent or see the new Lucas film on TV in a few months.

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If you saw the interview, you could see how the conversation was making John Stewart a bit uncomfortable...and he rightly points out that it bothered him that the studios had no interest in whether the movie was good or not, just what the foreign BO would be...

16. Hollywood is a business. They will produce whatever is demanded by their customers. While they may have a particular slant, for the most part, they produce what sells. If enough people do not approve of a given type of movie, they do not go and see it. Enough losses means that type of movie is not made again. If enough people demanded Tyler Perry movies, Tyler Perry movies would make George Lucas-type profits.

Regarding how blacks are represented in entertainment - it should be as much as the customers demand. And it depends on how you define "entertainment". What about the disproportionate numbers of blacks vs. other races in professional sports? Popular music sales?

17. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197
    I'd say the fact that so many movies have to do Harry Potter level business to be profitable is the problem.

18. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    "If you saw the interview"...Now that's funny:).

I've been overseas. Their concern about foreign body odor is well founded.

Seriously, it seems it's not about Hollywood not supporting black films, but foreign audiences not supporting black films. If indeed he is correct. But if his film makes big bucks overseas, I predict a torrent of big black Hollywood movies.

19. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Ironic, given that "blaxploitation" films helped get Hollywood back on its feet in the 70s.

20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Trailers are often made before a film has finished production, and not always by the studio releasing the film. A lot of the time current popular music is used in trailers to help draw attention, but they dont necessarily reflect the music that is used in the movie itself.