Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

George Mraz Trio "Duke's Place"

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Monte, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I've had this for 6 months now and I still listen to it constantly! All Ellington (or Strayhorn) tunes. Band is Mraz, Renee Rosnes or Cyrus Chesnut-piano,Billy Drummond-drums. The playing all around is great. When I get time, I want to learn his arco line from "Come Sunday"; what a gorgeous tone!

Monte

2. GigJones

GigJones

Jun 10, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Although I play electric bass, I have a great admiration for those who play double bass – especially those with great tone.

I first heard George Mraz play on several Tommy Flanagan recordings: “Jazz Poet” and “Confirmation” while studying with a
    great local jazz bassist. Back then, I thought Mraz had a very distinctive tone – it really cuts through.

While on my way to church this morning, I heard “Satin Doll” from the “Duke’s Place” collection. I didn’t know who it was at
    the time but I cranked the radio to listen to this amazing bassist. The on air personality announced the song afterwards and
    I was floored to hear it was the George Mraz Trio. After getting home from church, I started searching for the CD and found
    this old thread and decided to revive it.

George Mraz is an amazing jazz bassist with amazing tone.
    Anyone who enjoys the instrument will love the way this guy plays and sounds.

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    You can make a case for Jiri as The Most Underrated Big League Double Bassist.

He plays everything as well as anyone, all the way from Ron Carter to John Patitucci and from Ray Brown to Larry Grenadier. Whatever it is he can do "that" well and honestly.

He has played and recorded with everybody. Here's a bass-player whose discography ranges from dates with Charles Mingus (!!) to John Abercrombie, from Thad & Mel to Toshiko Akiyoshi, from Hank Jones to Elvin Jones, from Zoot Sims to Michael Brecker . . .

He has stayed true to his roots in jazz and in Czech music; he has explored all the musical territory which this time has given us.

All that and still he is somehow off the radar.

4. Will Yager

Will Yager Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    One of my favorite Mraz records. Sam is right; he is one of THE best guys around and still doesn't get his due. Somewhat off topic: does anybody know how his health is? I heard not long ago that he was rather ill.

5. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    One of my favorites,and always one of the best!

6. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

He was given the nickname "Bounce", by the owner of the club Bradley's in NYC. He was given that nickname because he was
    "One Bad Czech"(!).

One of the great virtuosos of the bass.