1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

George Porter Jr & band-PBS being sued - Need Our Help

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Ampig, May 29, 2011.

1. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

Check out this link SAVE PBS - Porter Batiste Stoltz - Relief Coalition
    If you've ever seen this band, you know they were funk on fire. Cream meets Sly. I doubt that they ever made near the money they're being sued for. The situation is ridiculous. Just another example of musicians being screwed by their management. I've met George and the band many times and they are great warm people. I've also watched them unload and pack up their own equipment at shows. Not exactly the sign of a band rolling in cash. GP Jr is a living legend and doesn't deserve this type of treatment at this point in his long, influential and grueling career.

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Thanks for the heads up- just chipped in 20 smackers.

3. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    ***?!?!

And all this after I saw George Porter Jr on Treme on HBO last night.

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I seen this too, George was rocking.
    Strange about PBS, hope this works out.
    Will send donation.

5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Where's the link to the lawsuit? Shouldn't people know what they are donating for and fighting against?

6. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    I'd be happy to help out and it seems unlikely as a scam but I'd still like some proof other than the web site.

7. I agree. Love George, love his work. I'd like to know more about why they're being rolled.

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    On the site there is a person to contact via email for more information. I'm sure he'll give you all the details necessary.

9. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    The details should be posted along with the plea.

Fair 'n Balanced, ya know?

10. This reminds me of all the problems The Turtles had with management, law suits and all. The big down side of the music industry is often management.

11. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    Yes, it's legit, yes it's happening. Regardless of WHY the former mgr is suing, ya gotta ask: Who in their right mind believes that PBS had or would have earning potential anywhere near $500k?

Does Stepanian have PBS confused with Pearl Jam?

Shame on him for "going after the musicians’ homes, publishing and life works, including George’s share of the Meters catalog and Brian’s writers income from his days with the Nevilles," as Offbeat reports.

Looks to me like a textbook case of an unscrupulous businessman openly attempting to rip off musicians.

12. When you sue someone... you go big or go home. $500k is like an asking price, you rarely get it in the judgment. Most of these things are settled out of court. No one wants to lose.

That doesn't mean it won't hurt PBS.

Getting sued is part of doing business. It's terrible... but it is reality.

All of you young musicians out there... take note... don't just take music courses, take some business courses in college as well. Knowledge is power.

13. bassramos

bassramos

Feb 13, 2006
    Chicago North
    We need to stand up and help him!

14. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

I've made a donation..........

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  16. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    from Brian Stoltz's Facebook page:
    Brian Stoltz
    FACTS: PBS has operated "debt-free" since 1999. Their ex-management is suing the band claiming they owe $600,000, but have yet to produce one receipt or any proof of accounting. The lawsuit is going after Brian & George's Homes, Publishing Royalties and life's work.Their ex-management has gained control of all PBS income streams and released 25 un-approved Live Albums in which the band has never been paid for.

Also, column in Daily Kos on all this: Daily Kos: Save PBS... No, Not that One...

17. I love GPJr, but I don't see where it says what they are being sued for. We don't know, maybe it is a legit lawsuit. Sometimes breech of contract is breech of contract.

18. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

See above

19. If the above is true and mgmt has issued unauthorized audio for sale and can show no proof of other accounting that they are suing for, any good attorney could file a counter suit and nip this thing in the bud pretty quick. Intellectual property suits are a standard in the industry and the musician owning the rights usually wins something. Even if the artists signed the publishing rights to the music over, there should at least be performance fees available to the three musicians, right?

EDIT - it seems the mgmt is suing for the publishing rights, so they must not own them already, I don't see anyway they could get away with releasing live albums of this bands original music. I would assume that PBS probably also did some stuff from their catalog including Meters, and Neville Bros songs as well, and those organizations would also have a basis for suing this mgmt outfit.