1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

George Porter, Jr. is the Man!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bassa Nova, May 18, 2016.

1. So last night I went to the Paradise Rock Club in Boston to see the Foundations of Funk with George Porter, Jr., Zigaboo Modeliste, Eric Krasno and Neal Evans. Amazing show! These guys jammed.

George Porter, Jr. is a legend and absolutely one of my favorite bass players of all time. I saw that he was going to be in town and had to go.

Honestly I have never seen someone so at ease yet so on at the same time. His playing is so tight with the music yet so casual. He plays with his thumb a lot, not slap, but old school thumbstyle. He played his Lakland Bob Glaub P bass (Natural with Tort!) through Aguilar amplicatication. I spoke with him after the show. Great guy. Very humble and gracious. He retired the 1970 Fender P which has to be the coolest bass of all time - talk about road worn!

He and Ziggy were tight. Ziggy was amazing. I can't even begin to describe his style, really his own syncopated funk grooves yet always on time. Needless to say it was very cool to see two of the very best at their crafts in person at a small venue like the Paradise.

They played the usually Meters fare, extended jam style. They also played a very cool version of "Come Together" which I took as nod to Aerosmith. I really wish I had a recording of that show.

Anyway, Eric Krasno and Neal Evans of Lettuce/Soul live were also very good and fit right in with GPJ and Ziggy. Krasno is an amazing guitarist and Evans is a very cool cat on the Hammond organ.

If they come through your city, I highly recommend grabbing a ticket!
  2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    nice man, george is great, seen him a bunch here in new orleans. yeah come together the meters did on one of their early records, it's cool their version.