George Porter Jr

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Rockinjc, Jan 22, 2001.

1. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    George Porter Jr. - anybody like him? Well I do. Talk about Groooove!

Listen to the Meters, Mac's Venus and Mars, or even Tori…pretty cool stuff
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    George is a baaaaadd man! :D

I grew up listening to the Meters on the radio all the time, New Orleans had some great radio stations back in the 70's. Sadly they're all sucking like radio stations everywhere else, and now NO isn't such a great place to live :(.

I wen' on down to the Audubon zoo
    An dey all axed f'you
    They all axed f'you
    Well, they even inquired about'cha...
  3. upman

Jan 19, 2001
    I gotta agree with you, George is the man! The blues band I play in does a couple of Meters numbers...I dig the hell out of it!
  4. he was great with the meters, and didn't he play on robert palmers sneaking sally through the alley?
  5. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I owned "Boys for Pele" from Tori Amos for a period of time...I really liked George's playing on that. It's just such a different tone, and way of phrasing.
    He's got it totally down on "Father Lucifer"...perhaps I should check out that meters stuff.
  6. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Only last weekend, I picked up the Tori stuff for the sole reason of studying George's work on this. So I cant say a lot about it except it seems that he bends over backwards to work with Tori's keyboard and vocal work. It a different context altogether.

The meters work is in my opinion driven by bass and drums, where George leaves plenty of space for others to do their work. In any case he seems to be a team player, working to the songs, not just to serve his own licks.

7. upman

Jan 19, 2001
    George and the rest of the Meters did indeed play on Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley. At least a couple of the members of Little Feat as well.