Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

George Porter Jr.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SantosL.Halper, Mar 26, 2001.

1. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, I had a cool Saturday night. First played a decent concert with the instrument I make money with (French Horn), then went and checked out George Porter Jr. with The Funky Meters at the Fox Theatre in Boulder, CO. The guy is the man, laying down really sweet funk lines on his ancient P-bass. Made for an amazing evening of music all the way around...-SLH

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I got to see the Funky Meters myself (and have seen Zig live about 10 times now), and love George Porter Jr. He definitely doesn't get the props he deserves. At the show he actually snapped his E string he was playing so crazy.

Great grooves, but I was disappointed with his Running Pardners album. I guess it's hard to recreate that original Meters magic. Loved his line on "Tippi-Toes."

3. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    Hehheh, yea, I've heard in the old days he'd go gigs and gigs playing just 3 strings. The man does lay it down...