Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

George Porter Jr

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by James Hart, Oct 3, 2004.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]

sure he's got a couple threads of his own already in the past couple years.... but I just gotta lay it down again for the funkiest Mofo I've ever heard :bassist:

I own "Look-Ka Py Py" and have some random tracks on a different "Funk" typed collections. I also spin "Sneakin' Sally through the Alley" which he funks up nicely... The stuff with Tori Amos ain't so bad either.

Anyway, Someone posted props to "The Meters" on a bass newsgroup Friday so I went digging and found/bought "Funkify Your Life - The Meters Anthology" (been meaning to buy it forever now!)

:bassist: I think every Bassist in the world should be required to study this disc. George says just about everything needed to be said on bass... EVER, goodnight y'all... we should just go on home! The funk is so greasy I'ma gone need a shower with dish soup to get it off :smug:

Any of y'all got any of George's funk on ya? :bassist:
    what else of his should I get to know?

http://www.georgeporterjr.com

(I also snagged a copy of MMW's "Electric Tonic" from the used rack.... it's the only MMW I didn't own. It's pretty good)

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The man can groooooooooooove.

one of my all time favorite bassists.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    And a hell of a nice guy, too. I used to deal with him alot when I was living in New Orleans. I wouldn't sell him my Meatball, though.

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    George Porter Jr. Kills.
    Love his suff with Parmer.

5. he is undoubtedly one of the funkiest cats alive.

You have to see him live to get the full effect - I lived in New Orleans for a minute and was able to catch him (and Johnny V) several times.

I kinda wish, though, he had better solo chops.

6. if you want authentic NOLA groove, Mr. Porter is your cat! he can lay it down like nobody! this is definitely his town!

there was talk of him laying tracks on the recent BOG disc, but (thankfully for the sake of my fragile ego) he couldn't get out of his numerous commitments during Jazz Fest to join us in the studio.

his trio with Johnny V. and a rotating roster of lead melody cats (June Yamagichi, Eric Traub, Skerrik...) is a must-catch show if you're in town on a Thursday night!

from the lows,

Stew

7. George is amazing on Gov't Mules Deepest End DVD. The guy is a funk machine no doubt!

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    There are some bassist that just are more goove orientated. Will Lee is also not known for his solo chops, but he sure can groove :cool:

9. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings

+1

Mo'

10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    It also must be stated he's done some terrific lines on the majority of Tori Amos' albums. Amazing groove! :D

Edit: It was stated, in the first post, even. I need sleep. :help:

11. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    I agree - he's a great bassist I've been fortunate enough to see on many occasions. Great feel and grooves and the occasional fast run - good stuff.

My band just started doing "Sneakin' Sally" and it is my favorite song to play at the moment.

He and Zigaboo are IMHO the funkiest rhythm section ever . . .

12. hey fenwickbacker,

where in NOLA are you and what's your band? I'm playing this weekend at the Blue Nile and I'd love to meet up sometime!

from the lows,

Stew

13. Funkify Your Life is great. I have alot of Funky Meters bootlegs and George definately gets nasty live. He's always been one of my favorites. The Meters themselves were truly a groundbreaking band. They were able to absorb alot of the sounds around them that make up New Orleans music (second-line drumming, blues, funk, jazz, rock & roll, Afro-Carribean, etc) and create something new and meaningful. All of them were great in their own right.

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I'd love to hear some of that!

Yeah, I hear so much of them in other bands I listen too.

15. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Porter is a sick sick bassist. Technically he doesn't play like a Victor Wooten but he's a master of the instrument and it's really all about groove. He's one of those bass players that just makes you happy watching him. There's just a great great vibe that comes off of him and that's what makes him such a great performer... I mean, he's a monster player but he's a sublime performer. Look on the bittorrent sites for shows. Recently, there was a Meters show from I think the early 90's with the JB's horns in Europe. Great show, and not the album/CD/boot that's been going around-- a different show.

Here's a clip from the recen Warren Haynes inteview on jambase where he speaks very highly of Mr. Porter:

http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=5569
    Playing with George Porter and having him on the road with us really influenced this band a lot. And Porter is part of the family at this point. He's one of my favorite musicians, and we were just blessed and honored to work with him. So it was people like George, Oteil Burbridge, Mike Gordon, Jason Newsted, and especially Dave Schools that kept this band together.

Yeah, I definitely hear the Porter influence on this album and I thought that was one of the obvious things the first time that I heard it. He must have had a profound influence on you.

On Andy as well. Andy is such a Porter fan. He would list Porter up there with his top influences. It's funny because in some ways he was stepping into Porter's shoes. One of the things that I love about Andy is that great big bottom end sound, but he doesn't play like Woody. He has a different approach. He is not quite as aggressive, but he is perfectly aggressive in a four-piece setting. Woody was such a sensitive musician that as soon as we added a fourth member he would tone his aggression down a little bit too. It is just a natural thing to do. In a three-piece, everybody has to be a little more wild, and a little more aggressive, but with each member you add you have to kind of start accommodating to the character and shape of the sound. And so whenever we added musicians, Woody's role would change instantly as all of our roles would. And you could see that when we played with John Scofield, or when we added keyboards or whatever the case may be.

16. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    Stew,

I'm out in Metairie and play in the Bucktown AllStars - I'd love to make it out to the Blue Nile, but my kids have their school fair this weekend - so I'll be ridin' rides and getting rained on! I'll keep an eye out in Lagniappe for when y'all are playing out again. Amen from the low end,

David

17. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I'm in NYC now, but I grew up in NOLA... I have heard of the Bucktown allstars... did you happen to go to Jesuit? Jesuit friends of mine mentioned you guys.

18. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    bt.etree.org

19. hey David,

I know of but haven't heard the Bucktown All Starts yet. heard great things about you cats! sorry you can't make the show tomorrow, but we're playing a 2 day CD release party next week and I'm doing a solo show on the 28th. it'd be great to meet another low ender in NOLA!

Trip Wamsley comes out to jam with me some. I'll let you know if he's going to be in town... true monster!

from the lows,

Stew

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I always seem to forget that... thanks