George Smed - Solo bassist

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Burg, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Burg

Nov 29, 2001
    Just stumbled across this guy and he's pretty good, really nice sound. Love the Clapton cover.
    Anyone heard of him before?
  2. it seems that you have a completly different link than any solo bassist you are talking about...

EDIT: oddly enough, his homepage is Bass/default.htm
    i couldn't seem to find this link from

EDIT #2: nevermind...i had to go to the member page and click on george's page, and the link is there!
  3. Burg

Nov 29, 2001
    Ah, roight, sorry bout that.
  4. Just stumbled across this. Bump for people who haven't seen it before. I wish I could play like that, it's perfect for what I like to write and haven't really seen anyone play that particular style before.
  5. Basslover

Feb 3, 2005
    This guy does some pretty sweet tapping if anyone is interested:

I myself love it when solo bassists tap but also find that if EVERY tune is tapped it can be a bit monotonous. I love how Michael Manring has so much variety in his solo pieces. Since perhaps the bass can make more different sounds than any instrument (any I can think of anyway), it seems a shame not to utilise its harmonics, percussive capabilities etc...especially if one is playing a solo gig.

6. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I think the shame is when technical considerations get it the way of a musician saying what they have to say - that can come from someone not having the technical range to express themselves, or it can come from them being so focussed on showing off their wikkid skillz at one particular part of playing that it masks whatever they might want to say emotionally, and the exercise becomes a circus trick - great for gear demos at trade shows, not so great for listening to at home or soundtracking those important moments in your life.

Michael is a great example to us all, in that he has a pretty much unparalleled grasp of the technical possibilities of his chosen instrument, but manages to channel that in the service of his musical voice, music that has such a strong narrative thread, you can hear the story almost as strongly as the melody. There are so few musicians who take their instrument to that place, because it requires an enormous amount of focus and dedication to get there, but when one does, it's worth sitting up and taking note. Bravo, Mr Manring!

7. I agree totally. The emotion that Michael Manring pours into his playing is what really keeps his audience captivated. When he plays, you KNOW he's got the chops. He doesn't have to overtly show them to you. You just sit back and enjoy the show.

And besides, Michael Manring pulls the BEST "bass faces" in the business :) :)
  8. very good :)
    to tell you the truth, I'd rather hear a song like this...I'd rather hear a song where the bassist put his heart and soul into a song rather then mindlessly pulling off 16,000 different arpeggios off in 30 seconds...Thats what drew me to Steve's playing, its not running at 300 BPM, but you can tell that he's playing with his heart and soul. There are very few bassists that can play at 400 BPM and you can still feel the sould of the bass player, and the three i can think of is Jaco, Manring, and Victor wooten...

But this is all IMO...
  9. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thank you so much for the very kind words, guys. I’m so glad my weird little vision of the bass is working for you!