Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Georgia Laws/Statues

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cassanova, Nov 1, 2004.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I've been searching for certain statutes for your state and I've only found minimal info.

I want to make sure I'm notgoing to violate either law before I do what I'm about to do. I was going to call my fiance, even though, her mother told me never to call that number again, then simply drive up and knock on the front door.

I was wondering if you guys/gals would happen to know where I can find Georgia's state statutes regarding Trespassing and telephone harassment.

I went to www.georgia.gov and www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=46-5-21 and found minimal information on these laws at best.

I really do appriciate any help you can give me, in finding the laws and/or even helping me interprit them.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    sometimes www.findlaw.com has some insight

be careful

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you are asking a question like this, you need to think long and hard about what you are planning to do.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    +1

5. +2.

I'd say that Mom will call the law before the echo of your knock fades.

Just friendly advice, Cass.

Mike

6. "There's a town in Georgia that's got a law on the books
    that says 'if we all got guns then we won't have crooks...'

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Out of curiosity, how does your fiance feel about this?

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i think this may be the problem, his communications are not getting through, but i could be wrong

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    His fiance's parents arent letting him talk to her and are intercepting the mail he sends her.

She invites his contact but her parents dont.

IMO: He should go. He should call the local PD first though and tell them what is happening. Hopefully they'll be understanding, and if not, I think he should go anyways.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    even then, how old is she? i think he may have made it known that there's an age difference between them, but by how much?

once again, i could be wrong

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I'll take a seat on the "I may be wrong" bus next to you. I can't see parents acting this way with a grown or age compatible woman. Although, sometimes my wife makes me wish they did! :D

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

I've been doing just that. So far, according to the statutes that I've found, I wouldn't be breaking any trespass laws. They never told me that I could not set foot on their property, so even if I do go there and knock on the door, I won't be in violation of the trespass laws. If, more like when, her mom tells me to get off the property and I don't, then I'd be in violation of those laws.

The telephone harassment laws are a bit more ambiguous. I wouldn't be calling there with any willful intent to annoy, harass, etc. But the mother did tell me not to call there ever again. This is what puts some confusion in my head. I've heard if I call once every couple of weeks it's not considered harassment, due to the infrequency of the calls. I dunno yet though. I'm giving it a couple of weeks before I do call there again.

Originally Posted by Woodchuck
    Out of curiosity, how does your fiance feel about this?

Last I knew my fiance is all for keeping open lines of communication. Her mother is set on keeping me from talking with her. As previously stated, the mail I'm sending is more than likely being intercepted by her mom and not being given to her. So in all honesty, there is no communication right now. Thats why Im planning on going up there soon.

There is a signifigant age difference. However, she's over 18, making her a legal adult. I'm over 18, and also a legal adult. The gap should be irrelivant. I realize,to many people, especially parents, it wont be and is totally unacceptable. But our theory is "It doesn't bother us, so it damn sure shouldn't bother you."

But to those who feel they must know she's 19 and the gap is 15 years.

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

My step dad is 22 years older than my mom... he is actually older than my grandmother. If she is 19, why cant she come live with you?

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    As long as she is an adult, I don't care about the age difference. If I were you, I'd go get my woman, but I'd try like hell to communicate with her first. That way, she'll know that you're coming and you wouldn't have to deal with the 'rents. Just meet her somewhere.

15. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I assume that your fiancé has your phone number and would not have any difficulties if she were to try to contact you? Why isn't she calling / visiting you? I think you need to wait for that to happen. If she doesn't get in contact with you, then you need to realize that she is not your fiancé any more. I'm sorry to be so blunt. Unless there is a legitimate concern that the mother has her literally held captive, tied up in the basement or something, then I think that the ball is in her court so to speak.
    It sounds to me like the mother has probably talked her out of the whole marriage thing and asked her not to see you or have any contact with you anymore. It also sounds like the daughter is going along with this. What are you going to do? Go try and swing her away from her mothers influence to come and be your bride? If she is truly an adult and she wants to act like one and she wants to marry you - then you shouldn't be having a problem at all unless the mother has kidnapped her and is holding her prisoner. I really think you should resign yourself to the fact that you are a 44 year old man who got some "legal teen" poon and be happy with that. Let it go. (edit - 34 yo, not 44 yo...) Her mother probably knows better than you do what's good for this girl anyway.

16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Call your local police, tell them what you're thinking of doing, and ask them if it's legal. Seriously. If anyone would know, they would. Also a local criminal lawyer (local being the operative word) would be a good resource. Good luck!

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    This isn't about getting "poon" to me. It runs alot deeper than that. I have known this gal for 2 years prior to us even hooking up. She's one of if not my best/closest friends, that is more important to me than getting some tail from her. So I will not let anything go until I know for certain that she want's it to end. If she does, then I'll walk away from the situation.