1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gerd Reinke Bach Cello Suites

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by jamesdotcom, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Ok, seriuosly. This is just totally ridiculous. While cleaning my room, I happened to find this recording again, and popped it in.
    Needless to say, I have a few questions:
    - Why is this guy making CDs?
    - Why are people buying his CDs (Mine was a gift - pretty solid alibi)?

I know I already made a thread about this a while ago, but I mean... come on. Is anyone else totally offended that this guy is out actually making money on this crap?

2. I think they're meant to be tasteless gag-type, joke gifts.

3. Okay, I'll bite.

Who is this Gerd Reinke fella, and why, specifically, should I run in the opposite direction?

4. Hmm. I actually don't know as much about Mr. Reinke as I'd like to. All I know about him is what I was able to glean from his recording of the bach cello suites. He's a solo bass player. Picture Edgar Meyer, except without the talent. What you're left with is a guy who owns a bass and makes CDs.

Does anyone know anything meaningful about him, like how he managed to get someone to record him butchering the greatest music like, ever?

5. I thought I was the only one who had that recording. I remember when I first got it, I was excited and my excitement turned to disgust very quickly. I wasn't sure if the guy sucked, the recording quality was bad or if I just didn't dig his style. He had a horrible tone and butchered every note. Of course then Edgar Meyer came out with his CD of the cello suites and I was hesitant to buy it because of the Gerd's. I was very happy indeed when I got!!! I could listen to that for hours!

6. Basgroep

Basgroep

Oct 6, 2006
    You remember the newspaper articles about this Berlin orchestra in Israel a couple of years ago?
    Some stupid bassplayer signed the hotel-register with the name of the guy who started the 2nd world-war. Especially nice to do this as a German in Israel (how blunt can u be).
    Guess who the bassplayer was? (He got fired right away)
    Suprisingly the same guy is now the principal in Egypt.:ninja: