Gerd Reinke Bach Cello Suites

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by jamesdotcom, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Ok, seriuosly. This is just totally ridiculous. While cleaning my room, I happened to find this recording again, and popped it in.
    Needless to say, I have a few questions:
    - Why is this guy making CDs?
    - Why are people buying his CDs (Mine was a gift - pretty solid alibi)?

I know I already made a thread about this a while ago, but I mean... come on. Is anyone else totally offended that this guy is out actually making money on this crap?
  2. I think they're meant to be tasteless gag-type, joke gifts.
  3. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Okay, I'll bite.

Who is this Gerd Reinke fella, and why, specifically, should I run in the opposite direction?
  4. Hmm. I actually don't know as much about Mr. Reinke as I'd like to. All I know about him is what I was able to glean from his recording of the bach cello suites. He's a solo bass player. Picture Edgar Meyer, except without the talent. What you're left with is a guy who owns a bass and makes CDs.

Does anyone know anything meaningful about him, like how he managed to get someone to record him butchering the greatest music like, ever?
  5. I thought I was the only one who had that recording. I remember when I first got it, I was excited and my excitement turned to disgust very quickly. I wasn't sure if the guy sucked, the recording quality was bad or if I just didn't dig his style. He had a horrible tone and butchered every note. Of course then Edgar Meyer came out with his CD of the cello suites and I was hesitant to buy it because of the Gerd's. I was very happy indeed when I got!!! I could listen to that for hours!
  6. Basgroep

Oct 6, 2006
    You remember the newspaper articles about this Berlin orchestra in Israel a couple of years ago?
    Some stupid bassplayer signed the hotel-register with the name of the guy who started the 2nd world-war. Especially nice to do this as a German in Israel (how blunt can u be).
    Guess who the bassplayer was? (He got fired right away)
    Suprisingly the same guy is now the principal in Egypt.:ninja: