Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geriatric strings or cheap electronics?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wannabeaslapper, Nov 23, 2004.

1. wannabeaslapper

wannabeaslapper

Nov 23, 2004
    I have two basses: a generic Sergovia 4-string (BEAD) and a Peavey Grind 5-string. My Sergovia, for some reason, which I paid $150 for, seems to have better sound, to my ears, than my grind. It seems to have more punch and better defined sound. I have Peavey Cirrus strings on the Sergovia and D'Adario strings on my Peavey. The Sergovia also has Bass, Treble, Phase, Volume controls. The Peavey has 2 tones and 2 volumes. They're both passive. Does it sound like I should just change the electronics or the strings? Also, am I crazy to consider putting Ken Smith electronics in it?

2. Bass and treble controls don't really indicate passive, unless they are both cut only which would make sense I guess. I think it could be the pickups, although try changing strings (preferably the same strings on each). No 2 basses are created equal, and just a different construction, body weight, and neck profile could alter the sound. I wouldn't recommend putting Ken Smith electronics in a cheaper bass, but if you like the way it plays it should at least partly alleviate the problem.

3. wannabeaslapper

wannabeaslapper

Nov 23, 2004
    I could be wrong about the bass/treble controls. It at least sounds that way. It could be 2 tones, but I know they're both passive.

They both are totally different in construction. The Peavey is all wood/neck-thru, while the Sergovia is some synthethic/composite material with a bolt-on neck.

I like the way the both of the plays. I just want to get a better sound from the Peavey. I figured that it would be better/cheaper to put good electronics in it than buying a whole new bass.

4. Hmmm, you didn't say if the two were the same type - is the Segovia a bolt-on Fender type? and is the Grind 5 the neckthrough version?

Knowing some more details would be helpful. Even a coupla pics could be of some service.