Geriatric strings or cheap electronics?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wannabeaslapper, Nov 23, 2004.

1. wannabeaslapper

Nov 23, 2004
    I have two basses: a generic Sergovia 4-string (BEAD) and a Peavey Grind 5-string. My Sergovia, for some reason, which I paid $150 for, seems to have better sound, to my ears, than my grind. It seems to have more punch and better defined sound. I have Peavey Cirrus strings on the Sergovia and D'Adario strings on my Peavey. The Sergovia also has Bass, Treble, Phase, Volume controls. The Peavey has 2 tones and 2 volumes. They're both passive. Does it sound like I should just change the electronics or the strings? Also, am I crazy to consider putting Ken Smith electronics in it?
  2. Bass and treble controls don't really indicate passive, unless they are both cut only which would make sense I guess. I think it could be the pickups, although try changing strings (preferably the same strings on each). No 2 basses are created equal, and just a different construction, body weight, and neck profile could alter the sound. I wouldn't recommend putting Ken Smith electronics in a cheaper bass, but if you like the way it plays it should at least partly alleviate the problem.
  3. wannabeaslapper

Nov 23, 2004
    I could be wrong about the bass/treble controls. It at least sounds that way. It could be 2 tones, but I know they're both passive.

They both are totally different in construction. The Peavey is all wood/neck-thru, while the Sergovia is some synthethic/composite material with a bolt-on neck.

I like the way the both of the plays. I just want to get a better sound from the Peavey. I figured that it would be better/cheaper to put good electronics in it than buying a whole new bass.
  4. Hmmm, you didn't say if the two were the same type - is the Segovia a bolt-on Fender type? and is the Grind 5 the neckthrough version?

Knowing some more details would be helpful. Even a coupla pics could be of some service.