1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

German Bows - deeper frogs

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by pnchad, Jan 23, 2012.

1. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    I've been playing DB for 30+ yrs - jazz pizz

Due to RS problems I've had to rest my right hand

So, I've taken to serious arco study for the first time

Problem is I'd like to get a German style bow with the deepest frog possible - big hands

I seem to see much deeper bows in classical settings but everything I see online is more or less what I have

help

2. mlz77096

mlz77096

Oct 16, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Can you get to a bass shop or even some violin shops carry bass bows. Plan on trying them out because it's amazing the difference in feel and tone as well as price between the bows.

3. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    I just bought a so so stick without playing - we'll see

wish there was a violin shop with a choice of bass bows lol

I have a drawer full of crap or damaged bows that came with jazz basses so I have been playing junk

4. bad bows suck pretty much worse than anything else in music.

I play very little arco but I bought an inexpensive Upton bow. I'm a big fan of Upton basses, I have two (one in each location I play out of). But this bow drove me crazy.

Then I bought one used off a bass instructor from Ithaca College, I forget his name. It is old, not too fancy or expensive. But it works. Both German bows, btw.

5. I've seen those wide german grip bows on the Internet in videos, but not on online stores...

Ones like the four are using here....?

90' Kontrabass Orchestra - YouTube

That frog shape must have some specifying name beyond just german...

6. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have the same problem and actually went about it the opposite way - using bows with smaller frogs and a kind of loose, open handed bow hold.

Take a look at the Glasser braided carbon fiber bow - about $500 - they use a very open "Paulus" brand frog that is very comfortable. I'm sure there are other bowmakers who use those frogs. They're a bit deeper than Pfretschner style frogs.

Another option is to look at the Vienna style frog. It's a bit deeper and more open:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f2/i-tried-reid-hudson-bow-807989/

You can get Vienne frog ipe bows on Ebay which are pretty good for @$200.

Louis

7. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    new bow should be here Tuesday - we'll see

8. BTW, "Deeper Frogs" would be a great band name.

9. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    disappointed....

It's shorter than the one I've been using AND heavier

the old cheap bow I inherited with one of my DBs (don't remember which) is longer and lighter than the carbonfiber one I just bought

that's why I started this thread - where are folks getting quality, light & long bows with deep German style frogs?

when I watch classical performances it seems they have great big bows deep enough for three or even four finger grips.

I can barely grab with 2.5 fingers

10. Pictures of your bow hold might help... 2 1/2 finger grip sounds really odd. Normally, your thumb and first two fingers hold the stick a bit like a pencil, and the other two fingers control the bottom of the frog... so all four are involved, but not from within the arc of the frog.