German double bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by MillerOnTheBass, Jul 7, 2008.

1. I recently purchased a double bass that I was told was about 120 years old. My teacher and I agreed that could well be true and that it sounds fantastic; big and fat like an old bass. It was rebuilt in 1992 by Kolstien, but the original maker was said to be unkown.

I just found a sticker inside next to Kolstien's sticker that is faded and difficult to read. The date looks like 1862 and the only other thing I can make out for sure is the name Biegen (at least I think) it looks like G.O. Biegen Co. on the first line. It's obviously a German name, but a google search provided no connection to basses. Is this name familiar to anyone? any suggestions on how to find out more?

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I suspect that Kolstein saw that label as well. Why not give 'em a call?

3. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    i doubt if its a german label with a "Co."

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021