Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

German Luhiers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David-Adler, Jun 5, 2001.

1. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hey everybody,

I´ve been on Talkbass for a while now, and while discussing Spectors, Laklands, Sadowskys, Pushics and so on, I noticed that barely anyone knows the german luthiers, which ARE really good. Although most of you know Marleaux, but none seems to be interested in Esh or Phantom, both of which are top-grade luthiers, with great woods and a building quality that leaves nothing to be desired.
    You will be able to get some of the basses (especially Phantoms) relatively cheap.

So here are some examples of good work:

PHANTOM:

[​IMG]
    <br>
    [​IMG]
    <br>
    Mephisto I 5er. Ash Body, Rough Chrystal Pickup. I would say soundwise it´s better than a Stingray.
    <br><br>
    [​IMG]
    <br>
    The FRETLESS MASTER. A great fretless. I played one of them and LOVED them so much !
    <br><br>
    [​IMG]
    <br>
    The Xtasy. The very high end modell of Phantom. Such a great instrument.
    <br><br>
    All Phantoms do have really thin, broad necks that play very fast and smooth.

Esh has about the same neck measurements, but different models, here is one great bass:

[​IMG]

Thats a great bass. J-Bass Like, with a quilted maple top...

[​IMG]

The Top is made of quilted poplar, easy to find here in germany, but pretty hard to find in the U.S. ...

If you can, check them out. Maybe you will easily spend less money on one of these basses, and you will be surprised by the quality.

David

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

There certainly is a lot of innovative thinking going on in Germany.

I like Jens Ritter, too, and especially Basslabs. They are feather light and I got to see their website before it went wherever it went. The research that went into the design and trying to avoid the flaws of existing basses is extraordinary. Heiko of Basslabs is a very nice guy, too.

Unfortunately, the trade barriers hike up the prices so much on stuff from countries we like in the USA. It pays to be our enemy when it comes to trade....go figure :rolleyes:

A Basslab bad boy

[​IMG]

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Like rickbass said, the cost is prohibitive here. Add to that the fact that you'd have to buy on faith (no dealers or basses to touch) from another country and the idea is even less appealing, generally speaking. There are a few Marleauxs around, including a six that I've seen for sale for almost a year, cheap. I have a Clover that I picked up used... excellent bass.