German Made Basses (Warwick, Esh?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Domino, Jan 7, 2001.

1. Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    I'm personally a big fan of German made products. The only two german bass manufacturers that I'm aware of are Warwick and Esh.

Does anyone own an Esh bass and if so what do you think of it? I haven't heard of them talked about on here much.

Also, are there any other german bass brands out there I should look into?

2. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

just finished playing my Warwick...

now regarding german manufacturers, check out Christof Kost and Sandberg (not sure the latter is german, can any1 verify?) they seem to be hi-quality stuff and Kost is actually a custom shop I think.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Actually there are lots of great German bass companies and luthiers...some are distributed in the U.S. by Salwender and the luthier's access group

Some of the 'bigger' companies worth checking out:

Human Base:

Le Fay:

There are numerous others:
    Jens Ritter or
    Höfner (Beatles bass!)
    Hot Wire
    Magnus Krempel (Magnus)
    Siggi Guitars
    Teuffel Guitars
    Henning Doderer
    Formentera Guitars
    SKC (Bogart)
    Auerswald - Jerry Auerswald designed and built Prince's Purple and Symbol guitar's and U2's McDonald's bass
    check out these pics!

Art of Sound
    Tommy's Special Guitars
    Morgaine Guitars
    Launhardt & Kobs

Good link pages:

I'm gonna post more of them...lost some bookmarks...or feel free to mail me!

[Edited by JMX on 01-07-2001 at 08:57 PM]
  4. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    i never knew there were so many insrument manufacturers in germany. I know there are quite a few upright bass manufacturers (may not be any more, that's pop culture for ya).

You listen to the hellcasters, wow. I thought i was the only one.

if the triad doesn't give you enough pop, you may want to get a big ben swr enclosure or an other 15-18" speaker enclosure. or you could run it through pa.
  5. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I added some names and urls...
    @VLM: I LOVE The Hellecasters, too bad I missed their only concert in Germany.
    The Triad is barely sufficient, but I'm gonna get me a Glockenklang Take Five or Quattro (4x10). Those rock! And their amps are state-of-the-art!
  6. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    i don't like 410 cabs, that's just my opinion. I think all stacks should have at lease one 15-18" speaker to capture the basses low freguencies. You may want to think about a jr. golliath and a big ben or jr. golliath and a bagend 18".
  7. Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    Esh rulez !

I have a Notorious II 5-String, and its - in my opinion one of the best instruments I`ve ever owned. It`s - to be honest - just as good as my Sadowsky.

All the best,

8. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    BTW: Christof Kost used to design and build most Esh models before he started his own company (He's not from Sweden, mistake on
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The first person getting any broad exposure using an Esh that I've seen/heard, is Mona, Sammy Hagar's bassist at the moment. When I saw the band, her sound was refreshingly different from bassists I have heard him perform with in the past, including Michael Anthony...not real boomy and her notes decayed very quickly.
  10. BassGruv

Nov 15, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Gotta say I've got a '97-Marleaux Consat-6 (six string). It's fretted with a Mahogany body and birdseye maple top and neck. Special ordered it and waited for four months :( but it was well worth it!!! If your doing jazz or fusion, this bass has serious control. The construction is finely detailed and she's very silky ;) Not the best bass for rock playing but very refined and the onboard eq lends really great (maybe too much :confused: ) control. There have been nights where I've lost which frequency I've chosen to boost/cut. It's got a bit of a learning curve with the electronics.
  11. Those Marleux basses certainly get rave reviews.