1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

German made Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sspear, Dec 4, 2019.

1. sspear

sspear Supporting Member

How come the Pro team built Warwicks don’t have very good resale value? I have a Streamer Pro LX 4 made in ‘17. It’s a $2k bass in great condition and yet you practically have to give them away. Inquiring minds want to know.

Dr. Cheese and Charlzm like this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Nothing has good resale value. Seven billion people on the planet, Asian slave labor, and mass production on an unfathomable scale. It's a buyer's market.

3. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    What is giving it away?

I'm with Gorn though. I bought a G&L 2500 for around $900 used and it is a $2000 bass.

As a buyer at some point you have to consider how much you would be willing to spend to just buy new or buy a cheaper model.

For me, if a new bass costs $5000, $3500 would be the point used starts to be considered and $2500 when used would be clearly preferred.

For $2500, I wouldn't even consider used above $1500, but less than $1000 would really get my interest.

Nothing used holds value.

4. dorej

dorej Lowdown Dirtydog Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Ohio
    Yep, resale on gear I've purchased as new sucks. I almost always try to buy used, so when I do move something down the road, I don't take a freaking bath. Just have to be smart. If you buy new, make sure you're going to keep the item for a long time to come, get your use out of it, then move it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Is this what we're talking about?
    Screenshot_20191204-124854_Chrome.jpg

Cuz it's a $2000 bass when you buy it new from musicians friend. After that it's not a $2000 bass any more.

6. dorej

dorej Lowdown Dirtydog Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Ohio
    I just purchased this Warwick GPS NT Stage I via The Bass Place (Reverb.com Shop) for $2K.

Currently own the same bass in Burgundy Red. Great basses, imho. Won't be selling either anytime soon.

Attached Files:

imabuddha and Helix like this.
  7. sspear

sspear Supporting Member

I got it new But paid 900 for it. I had a connection. But I would like to get a reasonable price for it. I think about 1400 is reasonable. Butlet’s face it the entire world economy is going to poopie. So maybe I’ll only get 1000.

Element Zero likes this.
  8. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    None of them do. For some reason all Warwick basses are subject to 40% to 50% loss in value on the used market. This sort of loss isn't uncommon, but when you start at $5k, going to $3k or $2.5 is a bigger hit than going from $1400 to $800.
    I think because it is a particular brand that doesn't have as much market penetration, and being able to try one before purchasing is almost impossible, so it skews the market.
    They are great sounding instruments with a grip of marketing and logistics issues.

db59 and Kevan Campbell like this.
  9. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    They sell for well under $1500 in very nice used condition. I just bought one.

10. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    Cause they are Spector clones?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2019
  11. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    ... and then complains can’t seem to sell if for a decent price without “giving it away” 94FCA3CD-E8DF-4C3A-A655-206D161DA610.gif

12. WHOA!!! They are nothing like spectors, other than the body shape and concave back - owned both, totally different. hideous? played by some of the world's greatest bassists????

dem's fighin' words!

MattZilla, TheMaynorD, db59 and 3 others like this.
  13. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    I think Warwicks are worse off here than in Europe. The original buyer gets soaked by the $ to Euro exchange rate (even if its the distributor, they pass it on), and then on the used market, they fetch a more appropriate price for a bass of their caliber.

Don't get me wrong, I love Warwicks, but the prices they want for those things new, at least in USD, are ridiculous.

14. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    For a 2k bass? Highly unlikely. You might get what you bought it for if you're willing to be patient.

And this is just how the economics of the used instrument market is. It's been like that since my first music store job in 1985. Not a recent development. And one of the reasons why I've never bought a new piece of gear in my life.

15. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    There is that. I have a Corvette. It has an incredible sound. Very unlike anything else in my arsenal. But I'm going to unload the thing because I honestly cannot stand seeing it in my music space on a stand. "Hideous" barely covers it.

They're not real great on the ergonomics, either.

16. Law of diminishing returns

spvmhc likes this.
  17. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I can’t help but wonder if it’s just the market preferences in the United States. It’s happily worked out for many of us buying second-hand, as much as I love my Star Bass II Masterbuilt I wouldn’t have paid the $9600 price tag that they’re going for new (got mine for $2200).

It’s just how the used market works for items not in vogue. I’ve tried selling a $4800 bass for almost a year and have had to admit that I’ll either take a huge hit on what I actually paid for it when I bought it used or I’m stuck with it forever.

imabuddha likes this.
  18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I paid $900 for a mint Streamer Jazzman 5 string a while back. It was going for over $3000 new at the time.

I tried to resell it and make a profit since I got such a killer deal. I wound up selling it for the same amount ($900) after shipping, paypal, etc.

imabuddha likes this.
  19. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    Its a brand thing mostly,G&L also looses a lot on resale.

20. Scarey Larry

Scarey Larry Supporting Member

If I am the average used customer I start off expecting used to be 50% of new, or even cheaper, unless there is something unique about it. I don't care if it is a Warwick or anything else.