1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

German Warwick and Rockbasses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sleepyhead_KH, Jan 25, 2012.

1. I've played both types. I've played a thumb 5 stringer and a corvette rockbass. The only difference being the aesthetic part, and even then they are both beautiful instruments in their own rights. So, are people just choosing the German ones just because they are made in Germany? I mean I understand German Wicks use different woods etc...and have higher end electronics, but the Rockbass Wicks have to meet the same if not similar standards. As for tone, if you are a solo artist I understand, but most people play in groups where the tones, well to me sounds the same. At least with that thumb and the vett that I played with. Maybe I'm missing something.

2. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Depends on what RockBass you've played...the old ones had nothing in common with the German Wicks apart from aethetics and pickups - the sound was totally different.

The new ones...the upgrades are nice, but they're still nowhere near the German basses - not that their German brothers are perfect, not at all, but still...

As for the Thumb, I'm sorry, but there's no comparison between a Thumb and....anything else. Their tone is so particular that no other Warwick sounds like a Thumb. And in a band, no Wick cuts better than a Thumb - that bass is a laser sword!

So...I don't know, maybe the rig you've used for the test was crap, but really, a RockBass being as good as a Thumb ?!? LOL!

3. I own and have owned several German made Warwicks. I have tried several of the Rockbass versions and they're not my cup of tea.

I'm all for a company making basses in a foreign country to keep the cost down for the consumer. I think Fender does a better job of this compared to Warwick. I just don't think the Rockbass is anywhere near the quality in craftsmanship or sound quality.

This doesn't mean that the Rockbass isn't a good instrument for the money. I just don't think you can really compare the two.

4. I think you are missing something. If you cant feel the difference when holding a german or china made wick then....