1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gerold Genssler

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by salcott, Mar 20, 2013.

1. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Anybody have contact info?

2. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

3. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Thanks-I emailed, but so far no reply.

4. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    He seems like some sort of shamanistic String-Mystic. Maybe you have to go on some sort of epic Quest, Salcott. What's the Average air-speed velocity of an unladen Swallow in flight?

5. African or European?

6. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
  7. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    I've been on the quest and have come out alive, happy, and whole. In a nutshell (or porridge bird egg) here is what I learned.

Best. Strings. Ever.

8. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Got the Email brochure today. At first glance it's either the 2011 Basso or Helix. More thought and consultation will be needed.

9. I have the Helix and they truly are da bomb!

10. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    2011 Basso.

11. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    Fantastic. Enjoy!!!

12. Kaspar - can you explain why you did choose for the Helix? I understood that Helix is mainly jazz pizz and secundly fitted for arco....

Thanks,

TonyD

13. I chose Helix because I want a hybrid string. I had Gerolds jazz strings on previously, and they're great too. But the Helix set is easier to bow and still sounds marvelous for pizz

14. andrea.it

andrea.it

Aug 12, 2005
    Italy
    Do you think with Helix it's also easily playable the classical double bass soloist repertoire like Fryba' Suite or Rota's "Divertimento Concertante" in standard tuning? Maybe these strings are too much thick for this use?

15. I'm not qualified to answer that, my friend. I'm a confident jazzer whereas my bowing skills are pretty rudimentary. (In the process of changing that). You should contact Gerold and get his opinion.

16. cold elephant

cold elephant

May 9, 2005
    Solo repertoire - I'm pretty sure Gerold would advise one of the thinner brands. I think the Helix set is great for stuff in the lower positions with the bow. Best really to talk to the man himself to discuss your specific needs.

17. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I play about 70/30% arco to pizz, but I do need good pizz. I asked him to recommend a dark string, easy to bow, decent pizz, and he suggested the 2011 Basso.

18. I think for solo repertoire you would like the Rabbath set:

19. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    2011 Bassos on the way.

20. Congrats, enjoy!