1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GE's Random Thought of the Day #2

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Sep 28, 2008.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    So I was on the ferry boat this morning, well actually I was leaving the ferry boat, and I noticed a guy in the waiting room praying. (The waiting room has glass walls) He was of a certain religion that prays to a city during the day (or a few times a day, I'm not sure)

Anyways, I don't have any friends, or know anyone, who shares a similar belief as this guy and it always got me wondering. If they have to pray to this city how do they know where it is?

Do they have a compass, or do they follow the sun, or is just a symbolic facing towards that holy city.

Please fill me in?

PS: I'd like to add that there is no disrespect intended, I'm just honestly curious.

2. They use a compass which symbolically points to the sun

3. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    If you're talking about muslim religion, they have to face East towards mecca. (but you already knew that)

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    So its just a general direction towards east? I guess they follow the Sun then correct? I'm talking about that religion but I didn't know if it would violate TB rules or not.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I worked with a very strict Muslim. I believe it is a "best effort" to face Mecca. He also said there was also some flexibility in the times (assuming you are not going to the Mosque).

6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    This sorts things out a bit. Thanks guys! :)