Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geshel: Nice Hanie!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 28, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    :D :D

seriously, i just clicked the link on your siggy, and got an eyeful of that gorgeous Hanewinckel. what's the story on that guy?

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Heh! :D

The story? He makes really nice basses. :) I ran across his web page (www.hguitars.com) a couple years ago and was really impressed with what I saw. In the fall of 2000 I decided to buy a custom bass (and was either crazy or stupid enough to lay down the $ for one I'd never played before), and I looked at a few different luthiers but decided on Pete. I only found a couple people who'd played his basses but they all really loved them.

I ended up getting this one:

[​IMG]

And I've been very happy with it the past year and a half!

He's a really nice guy, helped me out a lot with some of the features of that bass. A few months ago I ordered up a fretless since my Carvin LB76F just doesn't compare to the Hanewinckel (which is fine, price differences and all). And I'm hoping it's about done, I should have more pictures to put in the album soon??? :)

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've played some, excellent basses. Tried to hook up with Pete while I was out there a few years back and never did. Saw them first at the LA Bass Exchange.

5. What type of piezos are on your fretted hanewinckel? Are they the shadow/ABM kind? Are teh RMCs you are getting on the fretless better? I heard the slap sound clip of your on your fretted bass, and the piezos sounded to thin to be used on thier own, IMO.

-Chris

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yep, Shadows on the fretted, and I'm getting the RMCs on the fretless. I've heard good things about the RMCs from various places, and Pete is very fond of them. But then comparing the two will be difficult because piezos on a fretted are inherently pretty harsh sounding. You're right though, straight up it's a pretty difficult sound. Pretty hollow. Lots of high end, and then the low end is there but it's way down deep.

But then, there's a blend knob. :) The tap thing I recorded has I think 50% piezo/magnetic (and a little mid boost to fill in), and I couldn't have gotten that sound without them, I think it's pretty good.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah,

very nice Gesh. now when the GAS strikes i'll know who to call on the Hanie front. :D :D

hey whats the RMC?? are those the pickups? how do they sound? or compare to Barts?

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I have also been a long-time admirer of geshel's basses, but have been too timid to say anything. ;) For many long years I have dreamed of getting a Gripen or a Fusion of my own. Someday, perhaps.