Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Get a good jazz tone from a Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Avs, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Avs

Avs

Feb 19, 2001
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Hi there,

Currently I play in some jazz ensembles and a big band. I want to get a good jazz/double bass tone. Mostly I play a Rick Turner Electroline 5 w/piezo; sometimes it's a Ibanez SR3006 or an ESP Jazz. Each has its own character. But recently I get a Spector USA 2J and I want to make it my main gear. It's the brightest bass I have so I want to know how to make it fit into the music I play. Or I should keep using my other basses. Welcome any idea. Thanks.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hmm...I've never imagined any Spector I've ever played having a REAL passable jazz tone. They all seem to have that distinctive EMGish brightness to them. Maybe it can be done though as I've never tweaked them too extensively.

brad cook

EDIT: Just reread your post. I skimmed it the first time and missed the part right after jazz where you wrote "double-bass." I thought you were trying to get a classis j-bass tone (As in Fender j-bass). My fault for not reading it well. What I said might still apply to that concept though. I don't know if Spector's have the "darkness" needed to get that kind of vibe. I'd try foam or some kind of damper as suggested above.

3. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    There is no such thing as a jazz-tone, as far as I know. I can't think of a specific rock-tone, country-tone, polka-tone, or latin-tone... Use whatever you want, as long as your bandleader doesn't fire you! ;)

4. I dont remember the guys name, but there used to be a jazz player using a Steinberger headless, which of course is EMG equipped.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Try to put a set of flatwound strings on it.