Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Get a head or save for a flexible pre/power setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr_Dave, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Compact powerful head Tfunk, Eden wt550, etc.

15 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Save for a Pre/Power setup so you can change tones...

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Hi,

ok, i know this ground has been covered before but im confused...

i'm a uni student studying music (jazz/improv). i do a variety of gigs, funk instrumental, orginal funk/blues rock, jazz functions, bigband, corporate functions, fill in work, etc. Nothing too huge but we do play loud in some of the bands.

i have been using a gk400rbIII with labsystems (aussie) 210 and 212 cabs. i know this is underpowered. (1000watts of cabs total with 280 watts of head) i struggle with headroom and maintaining a good articulate sound. i play a lot of fingerstyle funk, rocco and jaco inspired

i used to have a quad and i think i want to go back to that, and get a single 12 for rehearsals. i am 99% sure i want to get an epifani ul410 and ul112, because i like the low weight and slightly coloured tone.

should i just get a thunderfunk, eden wt550 or something like that which is fairly flexible and compact or should i keep saving get a tone monster like an a aguilar db750 even though it doesn't have as much tone shaping... OR should i get a poweramp and be able to try and swap different preamps such as demeter, aguilar, eden navigator perhaps kern, etc...
    :confused:

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Considering your gigs, it looks to me like you're looking at rigs way too big for your needs, especially since you mentionned portability would be a concern.

You don't play very loud music. Say, a powerful quality combo like an Eden Metro, iAmp, or a small sized head with a 1x12, Aguilar style, would be more than enough in most cases, with an extension cab for whenever you need it.

As for tone, it can be found anywhere, it's not a matter of size.

3. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    yeah...

that fair enough...

i guess i just like the idea of flexibility. some times in the funk/fusion band we do get pretty loud playing 100-500 people venues with no pa support for the bass... i don't really enjoy playing through pa's because it always gets muddy and inarticulate because of subs and stuff, i prefer to be louder on stage so i feel like i have more control over my sound

also, i really like the punch of 10's i've not enjoyed my 212 cab so much on its own...

so a quad makes sense to me. perhaps 2 210's instead of a quad and a 112?

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I will place a vote in for an eden tube-pre-head I recently borrowed a wt-300 (300 into 4ohms) nice round sound and louder than I remembered 300 into 4 to be. I use 2-112's. I've heard that the WT-550 is killer loud and nice tone. If I could afford one I'd get one. AT LEAST TRY ONE WITH YOUR CABS AND BASS, preferrably at t gig.

5. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    yeah,

i have a friend who got the same cabs as me at the same time, but he also upgraded to an eden wt550

i got to use it at a gig recently. loud blues/funk.
    was using my new sadowsky. had a bit of trouble getting the mids right so i could hear myself good not too scooped.
    i really liked it though. wish i could get a bit of grind but i'm happy to forgo that because it sounds so good the rest of the time.

i've been thinking about it more since i started this thread. i've done a bigband rehearsal, a small bar gig tonight and i'll be doing a much louder gig with the funk band on the weekend.
    i think the 550 with the quad or 112 cab is what i really need. hmmmm. gotta stop thinking about it and just do it! :D

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Dave, how much $$?

I'd recomend you a Schroeder 1210 from Greensqaure music (I think they were around $1200-$1400). It's small and compact and would do all your gigs. Plus it'd still be a punchy, yet all round cab.
    Where abouts in Melb are you? The next time I have a gig, I can let you know if you want to come try my 410 + V8 rig, or you can bring your own amp..
    Coupled with a flexible amp (I'd probably recomend a Tfunk, seens they're pretty cheap for what they are over here, ~$2000)

What ya think?

7. shanmag

shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    the 1210 are $1450 according to the price list i was sent!

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^Cheers mate, I couldn't remember off the top of my head :)

Dave @ Greensqaure has Tfunks, yeah? Maybe you could work out a Schroeder/Tfunk deal with him Dave?

9. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey man!

im in east malvern.. near chadstone. i gig a fair bit with my instrumental funk band, at the purple emerald, kitten club, sometimes manchester ln, on brunswick st and stuff. where you playing? ive checked out your website before, the v8 and the 410 must thump!!!

maybe i'm just underestimating how loud we play but even in these small rooms, we really play loud, miked horns, keys in the pa and loud guitar half stack and me trying to power the band from the bottom...

i think too i wanna stick with 10's because i like the punch and speed... the Schroeder 410 must be huge but it also must weight a bit. i'm small and weak!!! :D

i gotta keep and open mind though. in the summer when i've got some more cash together i might just get a thunderfunk and a 1210 on trial for the 2 weeks and see how that goes too.

i'm playing at the woodford folk festival too in queensland over newyears, maybe ill come back through sydney and try the epi's...

10. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    oopss $$$...

well, as much as i can save... i gotta get a car too. i'm doing a fair few gigs at the moment luckily and i hope to get some nasty job over the holidays while i'm not studying... i dunno. sell my cabs and head, might have 4-5 grand for a rig if im patient enough!!!

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ahh, awesome.

Yeah, well all i've heard of the 1210 is that it's still as punchy as a 410 but with the depth as well. I'm sure it'd be loud enough.. My band plays LOUD, like, stupid loud and I don't even start to push the 410.
    A trial sounds like a good idea.

We arn't gigging too much right now because the guys have got all their year 12 exams, i'll let you know when and where the next one is though. Usually pretty local (Mooroolbark, Ringwood, Knox etc) but we're hoping to go out further once we start gigging properly.

I may just come check your band out one day.. Got any dates?

12. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    cool!

yeah, exams gotta suck yeah...

i'll sent you a pm with some dates, and please let me know when you start up again, i'lll come check you guys out too!

i play every wednesday night in stkilda, tiny bar gig, playing funky blues. just finished up a friday residency with the funkband at the purpleemerald but we're hopefully back there soon.

man it's great that the music scene in melbourne is still alive and well!

damn pokies!!!! :scowl:

13. Just thought I'd drop in and say hi cause this seems like a bit of a Melbourne thread... :)

Do Greensquare have anywhere you can go to try out cabs? I've been hearing nice things about Schroder boxes and wouldn't mind giving them a go.

14. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Matt. I'm the only guy in Melbourne with a Schroeder.. And from what I know, theres only two of us who have them in Australia (Could be more though now) apart from Dave (I don't know if Dave's sold any yet?).
    You might have to do a trial period thing with Greensquare if you want to try a certain cab.
    Where in Melb are you?

15. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    That is a pre-production version of the site that is not fully debugged. You have discovered one of the bugs - the price of the 1210 is $1450 - sorry guys.

As well as debugging the site - we wanted to wait until we had some stock (should be very soon) before going live.

16. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I want to try out a 1212 or 1210, most likely 1212 for some bootay, under my 410 and also seperate for band practices..
    Is it possible to do that Dave with you knowing I won't be purchasing the cab anytime soon (mid next year most likely)? Would I just have to pay shipping or would you have none of it? :p

17. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Will definitely look at package pricing - once we have some stock to package.

18. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmm, I may be interested in that as well.. I think $3000 sounds good for Tfunk550 and 1210 :D

19. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    With the two week trial period, you pay for the goods first - then you can return them for a full refund within two weeks. If you return them in less than mint condition (e.g. lost packaging / manuals, scrapes, etc), the cost of returning the item to mint condition will be deducted from your refund.

Given the level of interest from Melbournian potential Schroederists, it probably won't be too long before a 1212 turns up in Melbourne - so the cheapest and least hassle way (for all concerned) for you to check one out will most likely be for me to hook you up with an owner (subject to the owner's agreement, of course).