Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Get a job?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by whiteshadow, Apr 4, 2003.

1. whiteshadow

whiteshadow

Jul 3, 2001
    Ohio
    I'm an 18 yr old senior in high school and I'm totally jobless, and always have been. I'm always bumming money off my parents and it's getting a little old, for all parties involved. I'm taking a senior trip to Cali this summer and I need to save some cash for this, it's be killer. Anyway, where do y'all think I should work? Jobs are a bit hard to come by these days, but I'm down for about anything (legal that is ;-) So any suggestions are totally cool. Thanks.

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    There's always fast food and grocery stores. Being 18 may open a few more doors to you, but having no prior experience just may shut the same doors. Around here you have to be 18 to work at any of the video stores or record shops. I spent a year and a half in a shoe store for my first job.

3. Guitar Store!! Always a cool job. Just ask me, or Gard.:D Get to meet cool people (and some complete dumba$$es) and get to hang around cool gear all day. Course, it's not a "Well, I'll work here for the summer than go back to school" kinda job, it's a long term comitment.

Rock on
    Eric:bassist:

4. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Being 18 and lack of experience, you are going to have to start from the bottom up. McDonalds is always hirirng, bus boy, line cook, Mall! That would be cool...work and check out the honeys :D.

You will most likely get a job that you will absolutely hate, and it will be hard to get up every morning for your shift. You will notice your friends out having a good time, while you stay inside to work. But keep it up, save the money, to go on your trip. You will respect yourself more. And, its an honest living, and teaches you responsibility.

Oh crap.......I just sounded like my mother:D I hope all works out for you....and keep us posted.

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Is your driver's license valid? Try getting a job delivering auto parts-either for a dealer, or aftermarket store (like a NAPA store) Usually, there is room for advancement, if you decide to stay in that business.

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I remember my senior trip, we had a fund raiser so people could earn money if they wanted to go. I believe we sold magizines.

7. Man...I delivered newspapers when I was 12 and I have been working ever since.....

8. I love my job. I work in Next (that's a clothes store for you foreign types :D ). Everyone gets along, we have a good laugh and the girls outnumber the guys 5 - 1 (there are only 4 guys anyway) and even all the guys get along and have a laugh. It's the simple things in life that make it worth living.

The only problem is all the oestrogen floating around the atmosphere has made me start to get bitchy...and I've worryingly found myself critiquing the nail polish of women on QVC (The Shopping Channel) :eek:

9. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Dude if you are 18 then there is only one answer that will get you A LOT of money. WAIT TABLES!. Go to like Applebees or something like that. IT is a lot of work , especially for someone whom has never had a job, but you coul d, if you are good, make over $100 a night, especially in the summer.

10. I am 20 and finally secured full time employment. I did the mistake of leaving school and studying full time for 2 years. Come out with NO experience whatsoever, but then i was too old for the junior jobs like Maccas or KFC etc. I was lucky that i sent off my cv for a job i had no hope in hell of getting and the boss said "hmm u arent suitable but i will make a position for you. i want you as a trainee, you have the theory, i'll give u the experience"

So now i am a trainee service technician for a large electronics company. schweet...

:D:D

Merls

11. Waiting tables is probably the best way to go. It can get a little stressfull depending on the customers. Not only do you get paid your normal wage, you get paid a couple bucks in tips everyday. You can atleast get 30$ a day. The most I have ever seen anyone get in one day was 237$ in tips. That person had a very nice day filled with very generous cutomers. But then not all customers are generous. So yea, you should go check it out. You can go to Chili's, Applebee's, Outback, Black Angus, TGI Fridays...and the list goes on.

Good Luck