1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Get a load of this! Modulus shout out

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kopfjaeger, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

Jun 3, 2011
    OK, I'm not one to shower praise or run around and shout "hooorah" when something nice happens but this needs to be mentioned.

I'm a bit of a pessimist by nature and I don't expect a lot from anyone. I recently purchased a slightly used Modulus Quantum 5 five string bass. It is in really nice shape except one of the tuners was a bit tight. I can live with that. I swapped out the strings for a fantastic, set of Circle K balanced tension strings, which really made this bass come to life btw, and while setting the intonation, I noticed two of the adjustment screws were messed up.

I decided I'd call Modulus to see about getting replacement parts. I got right through at Modulus and was informed my bass is a 2004 model. He was able to tell me I had a Hipshot bridge as well as Gotoh GB70 tuners on it. While he could not give me a replacement tuner, I was not looking for a handout anyway, he gave me the stock number for the tuner at All Parts and even gave me a tip on hos to retain the Modulus cap on the back of the tuner and how to install it on the new replacement Gotoh. He was quite knowledgeable about my bass and he shared a lot of information that will enable me to remedy all the small issues with my bass. he also suggested that I call Hipshot about the adjustment screws since they would most likely replace them.

I contacted Hipshot and was pleased to find my intonation screws are being sent to me free of charge!!

I'm impressed!!! It does not happen too often so it's a big deal for me.

Sepp

2. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    They sell bass strings at Circle K? :bag:

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Cool.

I am missing a saddle adjustment screw on my Q4 that my local retailer can't match. Maybe Modulus can tell me where I can buy this $0.02 part!

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Great to hear, Sepp! :cool:

I have not personally dealt with Modulus, but have on numerous occasions with Hipshot, great folks over there WRT customer service.

5. Baird6869

I love their basses but can't comment on their customer service.... they have never replied to any of my emails or voicemails!

6. I don't believe you. Show me some pics of the bass to prove it.:D:bag::hyper:

7. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

Sep 29, 2011
    WI
    Been using Modulus for years and currently own two new models. They have really stepped up their game as far as customer service IMO

8. Baird6869

Both of my Quantums are 1995's.

I have called them a few times and emailed them. Zero response. Also, their website has been down forever.

Amazing basses in any case. My vintage Fender and Musicman basses are getting jealous.

9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
  10. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

Jun 3, 2011

Yeah, I should have posted a foto.

Here she is.

Sepp

11. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    Quick question, when it comes to the quantum do you guys generally prefer the emg or bart electronics, I went through two modulus basses recently one flea j5 and a vj4 both had bart set ups and were just too polite to my ears, yesterday I saw a nice 96 quantum on a wall at a GC and it was equipped with emg's and the tone seemed alot sharper more dynamic and alive to me. as I have been though two of these basses in the span of 3 months I am hesitant to go after another right now but any input here would be appreciated.

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I love the Barts in my VJ and the EMGs in my Q5. Having said that, a Quantum doesn't really sound like a jazz which doesn't really sound like a Flea regardless of pickup brand.

13. q5bass

q5bass

Apr 9, 2012
    TN
    I've had both EMG's and Bart's in my 2001 Q5. The EMG's gave the bass a more aggressive, growly tone that is great for rock. The Bart's are smoother and more conducive to the style that I play (worship). You really can't go wrong with either. The choice depends on what sound you're looking for and what style you play.

14. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Can you share his tip? I am in the process of replacing the Gotohs on my VJ.

15. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    For me it's Barts all the way. Mine has three Barts (neck, bridge and sweet spot). Just listening to them you might no be impressed, but I tell you true, that in a mix that bass cuts through like NO other bass I've ever played!

I actually turned down a deal on a Q6 because it had EMGs. Tone was just way too edgy, sharp and bright for me. I really love EMG tone controls etc, but their pickups just don't do it for me in spite of their popularity.