Get a load of this....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Reccord, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Man, some people are brain dead. This is a pretty funny story. I went into my buddy's music store today. He was out back doing some repair work. I was walking back to give him the coffee I bought him when I saw an SWR Big Ben with an SKB rack on top of it in the service bay. Here's where it starts to get good. The guy wanted to get a horn installed in the Big Ben because it was muffled sounding. D'uh. :D Anyway, that's not too bad. It gets better. My buddy said he had an IOD and a Bass 350 in the rack. I've never seen an IOD up close before so I thought I'd take a look. I opened up the case and saw two units in the rack. Both units just had blank silver faces with knobs on them. Weird. I asked my buddy what the deal was and he said that the guy who owned them had noticed some chips of paint off the bass 350 on the rack ears. Apparently the guy thought this looked real bad so he went to work and sanded all the paint and silk screens off both units, front and back, top and bottom. All that's left are two plain aluminum boxes with knobs and jacks. Well at least there aren't any unsightly chips out of the paint anymore.... Is it just me or was that really stupid?
    I guess they probably won't get stolen, though. :p
    I was fairly amused by the whole thing...
  2. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

:D :p
  3. Dunno. Sounds cool. I'd rather make a facia before Irreversibly altering expensive equipment.

I'm gonna design up some logos to be laser cut soon, I may just see if I can come up w/ something like stuff from Funk logic. I think something like "Dual Penetrator" Would be cool. Well...maybe not exactly that :p . Plus we can get stuff done up incredibly from a company we deal with at work. Got me thinking again...
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

BTW, Spacey, love your new avatar!:cool:
  5. Thanks! I finally got my hands on a digital camera..

Yeah that is pretty wacky. Over a few paint chips on the rack ears? Strange :D
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Reminds me of another story. I once played in a cover band with a guitarist who had a genuine Les Paul Silverburst. Yes a real one.

He is one of those wierdo humanoids with highly toxic persperation, so after about two years of regular rehearsal and gigging, he had worn a spot through the finish down to the raw wood. Maybe 2-3 square inches. So, he decides to make this guitar is main guitar for his original band.

He buys a LP copy for the coverband and then proceeds to paint this LP BROWN PRIMER. yes with a can of paint from the department store. I admit he did a great job, but a BROWN PRIMER LP?

It was unique.

7. Spacegoat, whaddya think of the IOD? I got GAS for one real bad.

[ shaking head, cannot imagine defacing a nice piece of equipment like that ]
  8. Bruce,
    Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to try it. The guy was coming to pick it up, plus I would have needed to find a map of the front panel....... I'm really curious about it too. I wonder what that would sound like in front of my SVT's power section?
  9. Dunno. I'm not a fan of power tubes cuz of the expense and they don't deliver the amount of watts I require. I also dunno if power tubes are an integral part of the SVT grind, or if that comes entirely from the preamp.

But... it looks like I'm going to work a deal with a fellow TB'er for the SWR IOD, and put my GAS pains out of my misery. Hopefully the IOD will be as much of a HiFi preamp as I think it is going to be. I want electronics with as little coloration as possible when operating in Flat and No-Drive mode. I'm also looking forward to using the full-power XLR balanced output on the IOD.

It is so weird buying gear unseen and unheard... but it worked out ok for me with the Alembic F-1X. Thinking more on this... I first did the research, then bought my RB5 and all my other gear this way. Hmmm.
  10. I think a good chunk of the signature SVT sound does come from the power amp. They only really start sounding like SVTs when you drive'em. Again some people love that vibe and some people don't. I'd love to hear your rig! I've never heard anything bad about the IOD, though. I'll bet it's a monster!
    My experience with SWR preamps is that they are pretty neutral sounding. I've used my old Studio 220 as a preamp in the recording studio and compared to the direct signal there wasn't much difference when the aural enhancer and EQ were flat. Maybe a little tighter sounding.
  11. I've got this project in mind to sample as many rigs as I can and save the results as MP3 files for my web site.

I figure it could be done with a laptop computer and a decent full duplex sound card. Create a CD or series of MP3 files as Output from the laptop, and Input into the amps EFFECTS RETURN jack. The amp's LINE OUT would be the input to the sound card. Use an initial MP3 of a sine wave at X hz to calibrate the recording level. Comparing various amps would be useless if the volumes are different.

Play a series of MP3s into the various amps and record the amp output. Commercial full range program material would be a good source to show coloration differences. A series of MP3 bass riffs like those used by the Seymour Duncan CD set would provide a reproduceable comparison.

If one wanted to be really anal, they could repeat the above, but using a full range microphone to record the cabinet instead of using LINE IN.

I want to have this project ready to go by summer, as a bunch of us get together for a bassist brawl, and bring our instruments. The last one was in November, and I have NEVER seen so many production and boutique basses in one place before. Alembics, Wals, Zons, and all the others. This will be a perfect opportunity for me to record the various tones of all these different basses in a controlled and repeatable setting.