1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Get a Sound like VNV Nation's "Streamline" ? (I know it's a synth!)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HenningH, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Hey guys,

I've fallen in love with the bass sound in VNV Nation's song Streamline. ( Automatic by VNV Nation on Apple Music ). I know it's done with a synthesizer, but do you guys know of any pedal / effect that would get me that sound out of my bass?

Thanks!

henning

2. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    sorry there aint no bass sound on that track, the usual midrange techno sequencer crap as used on endless hours of techno and disco music is best complemented by a low bass freq fretless bass and the organic human element. But if I were to attempt it I'd use a EH Synth9 into a Melekko Charlie Foxtrot for the pulses. Getting it to sound totally even & robotic like a key synth would be a challenge.

HenningH likes this.
  3. Thanks man. I know it's not to everyone's taste, but I think the sound is cool.

4. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Yup, that is a synth specific sound at the moment. Anything you would play with bass to get that will cost a fair amount.

That said, if you must have it and don't have price limits:

You need three things (for sure):

A tremolo pedal that has variable shaping to get the hard chopping.

A synth oscillator voice, or two, or one with a sub.

A triggered filter.

Actual solutions:

Malekko Sneak Attack or EHX Super Pulsar or Moof MuRF

going into a (could reverse order too)

Squaver P1 or Convertor or Future Impact. (Maybe a MicroSynth, MarkBass Synth or Synth9 - with these the tremolo can mess with the tracking locking correctly, while the first ones should do it well regardless).

Going Into

Maybe a Wonderlove, maybe an IE XeroDlx, probably a Moog LPF that is being triggered by an external CV, or maybe even into a MicroSynth filter set to trigger really fast.

You could mess a bit with the order of these ideas, but generally the trem is to get the chop before the filter so that it triggers the filter to sweep. FI into Tremolo into Filter might do it well... Tremolo into FI might do it in its own?

The Squaver P1 could get close with some external influence on the filter and the side chain.

HenningH likes this.
  5. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    You might be able to do it with a Seek Wah or other sequenced filter (one of the kind where you can set the filter position on each step, to mimic the opening and closing we hear amid the chop), but it wouldn't quite have the same chop between the notes as a hard trem/stutter would.

Boost the mids and put some dirt before the seek wah for the fuzz and sustain, and a little chorus after. It'll at least be close enough to have fun with.

HenningH likes this.
  6. Man, I didn't know this would be so complicated! Thanks guys, I'll see what I can do on my budget!

7. Lightfoot labs goat keeper into an envelope filter could probably get you close, you'd be spending as much as a decent second hand synth though.

HenningH likes this.