1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Get a Squareback?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by warwick.hoy, Mar 9, 2008.

1. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I don't have any money at the moment, but I'm itching to get a car. I've been using mass transit and my mother's car when I need it. I'm trying to feel out if I'm having any delusions.

So I'm looking for a cheap car that will fit a 4x10 cab (in the future 2 4x10's) a 6 space rack, and 2 basses for gigs as well as a daily driver. Currently I drive an 01 Mercury Sable. It isn't mine but I have regular access to it. I hate trying to fit all my gear in it. I just want something that I can call my own and will be good for gigs. I'm looking for something older so that I can be grandfathered out of the local emissions standards (25 years or older). I'd like to avoid a minivan Although a VW bus or Vanagan would be cool

Here is what I've got my eyes on

VW Squareback
    http://spokane.craigslist.org/car/586457632.html

I really want a Squareback as they have a lot of character and seem to be easy to work on. I want one that is air-cooled and it seems that a carburated one is more desirable. Obviously It doesn't have to be pretty, just cheap and run decent. I'm willing to do some restoration too.

So a few questions if anyone wants to oblige.

Do you think I can or can't fit my gear into a Squareback?

Does anyone have one they'd be willing to sell me in the future?

2. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Scion xB

3. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    They are great for moving gear. One of my guitarists had one of these; but, um, yeah.... I can't afford a new car or newer used car. I don't want the payment. The older ones look like breadboxes on wheels.

I also don't want to deal with emissions. I understand that it is to keep your car running good and help with air quality, but I also think it is just a bureaucratic way for the county to suck more money out of it's citizens.

4. That squareback looks cool. Just a warning, older cars will have more problems.

lowsound

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    for sure. I'd rather make a payment to the local mechanic than to some dealership. I would slowly restore it to like new, better than new condition. Probably not a lowrider or whatever.

I like older cars and those Squarebacks seem to have a lot more character than all the new cars available today. If I was going to get a newer car it would be an Impreza WRX wagon, or some sort of Audi wagon, but I can't afford one.

I'm wondering if anyone has gigged in a squareback; either currently or when they were way younger, and if they want to share some experiences with me.

I don't think that an Ampeg 8x10 will fit in there, but what about a neodyium 4x10s that would weigh about 56 lbs another 50-60lb rack, about 18 lbs of basses, and a 160 lb driver.

6. As long as the suspension isn't shot I don't see why it would be a problem putting all that stuff in there.

lowsound