Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Get a tube growl

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Dec 22, 2004.

1. How can I do this to my set up? Is there a magic box of tubes that I can stuff my signal through? I don't want to change how many lows I have, or mids or highs, yet I wouldn't mind some compression. I sort of want a real tube od and comp in short.

What would fit the bill?

Many thanks

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A SansAmp BassDriver is the obvious answer, although I'm sure some more esoteric pedal could do the same or maybe better.

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    You can get a bit of tube grit from an EHX Blackfinger compressor if you play with the gain knobs on it, nice and warm too.

4. your problem isn't in the pedal!

what you need is a tube in your bass!
    like this one!
    [​IMG]

:D

sorry, anyhow, i would say look into the sansamp, or i know fender just came out with a new tube preamp that i hear is pretty hot...you don't need to use the eq, you could just set it flat i suppose...

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    What the heck is that?!

6. sandburg tube machine

7. you know, come to think of it, why don't you look at tube compressors?

8. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The ART line of products will give you affordable tube warmth. The Tube MP is a great preamp and the Levelar is a great compressor. They are simple to use and sound great for cheap if you buy them used.

9. Cool cheers guys. Think I'll have to look into the Blackfinger. Have you got an address for ART, waxcomb?

Thanks once again.

10. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
  11. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Id try to avoid low costing preamps and stuff that are "tube" hyped. Chances are they will add to the noise and are made of cheap components. Ive heard those art's are noisy....I had the presonus tube-pre and it wasnt that great either, the growl sucked.

The sans amp gave me the best tube sound I could find, plenty of growl with fatness to spare. Its really not that hard to find a good sound on that pedal and the quality is excellent.

I suggest putting a nice chunk of change into a nice piece of equipment (maybe a new rackmount preamp?), and if you dont have the dough now, save for it. It'll be worth your time later. :hyper:

12. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    Fulltone Bass-Driver-

13. The Digitech BP-8 has a tube preamp, a useful compressor section, 4 band semiparametric EQ and is quiet and it pretty darn useful for all sorts of other bass sounds and they are usually $100 or so used. Digitech still has all the parts needed to keep the old dog working last I checked.
    For recording I often use an early ART Tube MP with an old JAN 12AX7 tube in it, nice and round and warm an just the right touch of compression. The current Tube MPs are quite nice and have a host of updated features like a VU meter, compression/limiter, EQ curves and even a A/D digital converter for recording.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    [​IMG]

15. I have the early '91) tubeworks "blue tube" I gutted out the passive tone pots. It works o.k., but not as good as these high tech ICs as the Sansamp or the "warm" circuit on my eden time traveler. The real tube majic is in the power tubes, not preamp. A few amp designers use power tubes as signal processors, instead of a cheapo 12AX7A. Warwick and H & K come to mind.

That said, check out that ampeg svt DI. It looks kind of cool. And those art preamps are dirt cheap on ebay.

16. LMFAO!!!!!!!! Thats what I need!

17. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    That $100 Presonus preamp was a real dissapointment for me! It's noisy if you try to get a lot of gain out of it (like especially for studio micing), and the worst thing is that appearently they designed it so that it has solid state components in the signal path too - that clip before the tube does!! That is just idiotic to me! It is useful for a certain growly warmth on like 'yelled' vocals for sort of a raw, low(er)-fi sound.

I thought when we got it for the studio "at least we have something we can clip, and it'll be TUBE clipping" - then I thought that if we couldn't even use it for certain vocal micing or other high-gain, noise-prone uses, that at least I can use it on the kick mic as a 'clipper-limiter' that would add a little clack to the attack transient of our drummer's not-very-defined kick sound. ..Not. When they clip, it's a harsh, tweeter-bustin', solid-state-like snap! Unuseable.

Now for bass preamping: if you NEVER let it clip, but turn the drive control up some, it does lend a certain growliness to harmonies - especailly on tenths it's pretty pleasing and smooth.

BUT - how can you use it into an amp? If you turn the drive up enough to get polyphonic growl (I'm specifying that way because I'm not talking about like that sought-after single-note 'bridge pickup growl', I mean that other kind of growly, a little mushy-sounding sort of harmonics that you get on harmonies), then it's output is too high to put to an amp! I only use it now if I want to record straight to the board.

18. I recently picked up the Presonus Bluetube mic preamp. I dont use the gain much at all. I do use the drive at about 10:00 to add some warmth to my sansamp tubelike sound. For the money I paid for it it seems worth it to me. I just have not had the money to go out and buy a $400 - $500 preamp setup. I bought the sansamp first and got the basic tone I wanted. Later I picked up the Bluetube to warm up my sound a bit. It helped make the decision that I hade a Presonus Tubemax with rack adapter already in place.

Eventually I would like to get a true tube bass preamp. But, for $100 here and $100 there I have put together a pretty decent setup for myself.