1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

get anything good at the Presidents day sale?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mellowgerman, Feb 18, 2008.

1. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    i've heard a lot about guitar center p day sales and was just wondering(for future reference) if the all the ruckus is really where it's at.
    so tell me what you got today! :)

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I went to two locations (was one of the first in line at the first location). It was a major let-down. A few "OK" deals, but really, nothing special at all....

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

My GC never has anything to write home about when there isn't a sale going on. So I don't hold my breath for a sale there.

4. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    Everything is just 10% off lol

Im picking up a Tobacco Sunburst 'Ray HH if it is still there, it was just the "ONE" and I swore i wasnt going to get another Ray :D

I guess for the higher priced instruments the deal isnt bad, however if you are looking at a squire then expect to get almost nothing off it.

5. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    haha that's cool. I was considering making the 1hr trip to check it out. glad i didn't:)

6. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    as I posted elsewhere, you had to get a copy of the "List"

The Bongo I bought was $1550 list, yellow tagged at $1410, but the list had it for $944..

I have the list right here:

another Bongo HH 5: Candy Apple: $984
    Pedulla PentabUzz 5'er $2040
    Warwick Katanas: $1282 and 1441 (4 and 5)
    Modulus Flea 5'er $1281

None of these prices were hanging, you had to get a copy of the list at the door.

The list only had 50 or so guitars and basses on it, few Fenders..but some other really nice deals.

7. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Not bass gear, but I bought a new Simmons SD7K electronic drumset, which normally goes for $600 without kick pedal or throne, with both a kick and throne, a pair of sticks and warranty for $650 (the set was marked down to $450). It's a cheapie set, but so far sounds pretty good (although somewhat monotone, but what can you expect), and my boys (a 3 and 2 yr old) can learn drums at a reasonable volume. I can also learn to play with headphones or whatever.

8. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    a 3' Monster speaker cable - it was not on sale :(

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I took my kid to the local GC (about 45 min) last week and we didn't see anything we'd want even if it was on sale. In particular, the bass room had little stock.

10. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    GC Boston has a new 5 string p-bass. Not on sale of course. By the time I went in all of the lists were gone but the LMII was down to $539. They also have some nice Modulus 5 and 6 strings in.

11. Went to the Sherman Oaks, Ca store this morning. Had some deals on older Fender jazz/P's, Ibanez, lots of guitars. They had a red bongo 5 I would have considered but a guy got it before me for $900.00 w/ case. Not bad. I looked at a MM stingray, 5HH. Said they'd go down to 978.00. Not a bad price but didn't wow me enough to open the wallet.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I didn't see anything that was bass related that was a good deal, except for noticing that our GC has fewer basses than ever, and they appear to be the same ones I've seen on the wall for the past 3 years (without exaggeration, same models in the same colors with the same wear).

The Bongo 4 that they had the week they opened the store was on 'clearance for $879. When I tried it at that time, I asked if they were getting a 5, which they said they would...and never did.

On the other hand, I went in for some mics, and did pretty well. Not because of the sale, but because I got them to price match.

I ended up with:
    2 Shure SM-57's for $75 each
    1 Shure SM-58 for $75

I also picked up a few extra XLRs and stands but not really priced any different than normal.

I had been looking for two Audio Technica AT2020's but they didn't have any and said they'd never had any. :(

13. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    its a fricking holiday, no work, stayed in my warm, comfy bed with wifey on a cold morning....priceless. All I need is a couple accessories, dont know if they woulda discounted those anyway. I was online last nite looking up the stand and cables Im wanting, no tax, free ship thats prolly cheaper than buying local but I'll go try to get a price match deal at GC later this week, not today though, just chillin. I made a jazz bass trade last week, my fretless 5 for a fretted 5, buying a nicely priced used Cirrus from C-list this week. With all the great used gear for sale or trade I may never buy new in a store again. Happy Prez Day, y'all.

14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    For some classes I teach I picked up some telecaster bridge parts, a couple of small crash cymbals, 4 felt washers, and a set of guitar strings. They cut me a good deal. I also found a 160 GB LaCie harddrive for $90. As our local CompUSA is closing and has no drives, I bought the $90 one. I looked at smaller Fender guitar amps, again for teaching, but there were no big discounts.

I noticed that they had sold all their LMII MarkBass heads. I think they still had some New American Standard basses. Wish I had some more money for the sale, but I was happy to have found the things I needed for decent prices.

Earlier today, I went to a respected Mom & Pop store that is a Fender authorized service center. The nice lad behind the counter said he wasn't able to search the shop area for the tele bridge part I needed, and advised me to come back during the day on a week day. Sheesh...I teach full-time 40 miles away! I went to GC, assuming they would NOT have the parts. WRONG. I was shocked that they had them.

15. imjammin

imjammin

Mar 13, 2005
    I went and was tempted with a 4 string Bongo HH in a nice slate gray for $617!! I put it down and it was sold in minutes, I am saving for a new Elrick, and Bongos are not really my thing, but at that price I was tempted.

16. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    One deal went down here ... I didn't get it

But a $1200.00 MM Stingray with matching headstock went for $600.00

:meh: ... Not a big deal for me but would have made a nice re-sale on Ebay.

17. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    No bass gear, but I got a pair of Mackie SRM450s for $1,000.00.

18. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Day off (state employee) so I sat at home and saved some money and dug out some gear I havent touched in years,all around a good time and money saved!!!

19. I got a Wine/Tortise shell PG HH 4 string Bongo for $779 - with my seldom-used two basses in trade, it cost ne $179.

Giddyappppp!!!!!!! :hyper:

It's a gem, Jerry, A GEM!

Other than that, I hate that store. :ninja:

Every 15-22 year old wannabe shredder was playing at level 11 - came... close.. to... raging. :mad:

20. krazy kool 48

krazy kool 48

Mar 29, 2007
    Well my original intent was to go for the g-k backline 600, but unfortunately they were out of stock. I didnt mind much though when they gave me the display model of the 700rb for about 50 bucks more. One of the sweetest deals ive ever gotten from gc... or anywhere for that matter.