Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GET BEHIND, THE WHITE STRIPES

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by METALHEAD, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Ok i've got the new white stripes album "get behind me satan" and i would like to know some poeples thoughts and ideas about it.

its very different form anything else they've done. and it takes a couple of listens to get in to.

What do you'all think?

2. I think it's fantastic and possibly their best record. I can really hear Loretta Lynn's influence on Jack White. His songwriting is more clever than usual, especially on "Little Ghost." And I definitely like the way they're evolving with more piano, acoustic guitar and marimba out of freakin' nowhere.

But I didn't bother making a thread about it because apparently it's illegal for bassists or drummers to like the White Stripes. See you in Gitmo, man.

3. i like the old stuff as well. i like his electric blues. but this album is very good. like i said it takes a couple of listens to get it though.

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    A friend of mine sent me the new single, saying that "their songwriting has dramatically improved" and that "the production is leaps-and-bounds better than the previous album".

I listened a few time, and replied, "Didn't KISS record this in '77"?

...she hasn't spoken to me since. :smug:

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    All I've heard is the single, but surprisingly, it was pretty cool.

I still prefer bass and drums two pieces over git and drums to pieces simply because they sound alot more "full". I think Big Buiness is probably the only stripped down two piece I actually love. They have the energy of Death From Above 1979, but I prefer their singer over the DFA1979 dude. Haven't checked out Lightning Bolt yet though.

6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm psyched to check it out. I like them, despite thier lack of rythm section.

I'm dying to hear Big Business, heard many great things. The drummer in my band saw them recently and said they're amazing. Lighting Bolt is pretty cool...although I haven't heard that much from them.

7. Kaboom

Kaboom

Jun 13, 2005
    ok i'll bite. I'm a drummer, and soon to be bassist, and i LOVE the white stripes! sure Meg dont do more than keeping the 4/4 straight, but hey, it sounds nice.
    On the other hand, i think they went WAY off on the new album. Their previous stuff was excellent because of how the simplicity made it so direct and exciting. now they've started screwing around with marimbas and in my opinion, they've ruined it. Experimenting was find with Yes, the Beatles or just about any band that have enough members to keep the sound together.
    with a bass/git duo, the only thing keeping the sound together was how catchy, clever and exciting the songs were. they've thrown that outta the window, and their appeal has gone the same way. at least for me.
    this is of course, a personal opinion, not gospel. You are still allowed to flame me tho

8. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I've just listend to the previews on amazon.com. It doesn't really sound like the white stripes. But then again I prefer their first two albumns. My favorite songs are St James Infirmary Blues from the first albumn, Hello Operator from the second and the iTunes exclusive Black Jack Davey.

This albumn sounds very....british 60s rock. Well, the first couple of songs do. Eitherway it is a different style for them.

I'm not saying it is bad. I like it. But it doesn't sound like the white stripes previous albumns.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Not to join the enevitable flame war too soon, but has Meg improved? I don't mind the lack of bassist, I mind the lack of drummer.

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Big Business played around here with Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower and the Blood Brothers. I was working that night, but managed to get out at around 8:30, went home, changed and made it to the venue at 9. I only wanted to see The Plot, and I made it just in time for their set, but I missed Big Business, which I'm now regretting because I've heard a lot of good things about them. They're coming around again in July, might try to catch them.

11. I like it.

12. If Jack would ditch Meg and get another drummer, preferably a good one, they might be alright.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

What point? I read the article and listened to Blue Orchid... it's pretty decent. It sounds like they are trying to sound like The Darkness/Jet that whole gang. Do they have an organ player or what?

14. the red "listen" button plays the interview

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Long live the revolt, of sorts!

I haven't heard it yet. In the past it seems to me they have done two styles, one I like and one I don't. I wonder what this one is.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Erm... no way I'm listening to a 45 minute interview on a 56k... so I'll take your word that it's the point.

Upon second listen though, I do dig the single. Jack's good, I just think there needs to be more going on... the organ (I think) helps that song out a lot.

17. good to see so many people commenting on this thread.

my thoughts on this album is its good, but not as good as some of there earyer stuff. im more of a white blood cell or de stijl man myself, i feel these were there best albums, however there are songs from all of there albums i like. this one has a couple of classics blue orchid is great as is little ghost and take take take. its a good listen but its not an easy listen. give it a chance you might like it more than you relise.

18. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Matt, I'm not sure what I am smoking, or what you are, but I don't hear organ on blue orchid. I hear about 5 or 6 or so overdubbed guitar tracks, with varying levels of being fuzzed to all hell.

Yeah, but the rest of album doesn't sound like that, regardless. I like his big f you to everyone by not really playing guitar on this album. It's mostly piano.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think, considering the rest of their catalog, and looking at the songs individually, they are pretty decent, with some being more decent than others, but I think looking at it as an album, it sucks compared to other releases.

I wonder if live he'll bust out a real piano or go with the old electric piano he usually uses. I do love that electric piano sound.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Sorry, I've been listening to a lot of Deep Purple: Jon Lord sounds like 6 fuzzed out guitars. :D

I think I'd buy some of their stuff, but with all the hype behind them, their stuff is SOOooOoooooOooOo expensive. By that I mean, I'd pick up their CD if it was 8-10 bucks. Hey, there are less people in that band that need to make money. :D