Get me into Giant Sand!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mitchell Royce, Apr 13, 2005.

1. I've recently seen a small docu and concert segment on Giant Sand and I really liked what I heard. So far the only other psychedelic(I'm just gonna call it that) country band I've enjoyed has been the Meat Puppets.
    So, what are some good places to start with Giant Sand. Seems that Howe Gelb is basically the creative mind and since he's been making music since the 70's and Giant Sand have put out albums since the mid 80's I'm kinda unsure of where to start. What are some great albums, live cuts or so on that I should check out? Which one's can I still get?
  2. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I have some of Giant Sand's early albums. I like the general lo-fi alternative-country style, but my favourite by far is their untypical heavy psycho-desert-grunge album "Ballad of a Thin Line Man".

You'll find various live cuts on their home page (under "archive").

Also check out related bands:
    OP8 - "Slush" is a great album
    Calexico - GS rhythm section, "Hot Rail" is good.
  3. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Didn't know these bands were THAT obscure... :eyebrow:
  4. I was kinda wondering that myself. I've heard of Calexio myself and am currently downloading a few tunes(though it's taking forever, there's barely anyone who has them) because I don't wanna wait 6 weeks for my store to get a copy in.
    I will look for OP8 as well. Thanks for all the help by the way.