1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Get rid of amp, go through preamp to PA(?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigcardinal, Apr 10, 2006.

1. I'm thinking about eliminating my amp from the equation altogether and using a good preamp to go straight into the PA at shows and at practice, using my little practice amp and/or monitors to hear myself. I'm sick of big, heavy rigs going up and down too many stairs and into small cars and I DON'T CARE about the image issue of not having a huge amp on stage.

What do you think? Is this a bad idea? Thanks.

2. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    I'm sorta going that way with the Bassman 100 (1x10) combo I got. It's 100 watts, so it's great for practice and small venues by itself, and if anything more is needed, I have the sound guys plug into the XLR direct-out. It's got a tilt-back cabinet and it's 25 pounds.

So far, no problems. :)

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have been very tempted to do the same thing. I couldn't quite do it. I have an Eden 550 and a Bergie HT112. It's a little more than a combo, but not bad. It just sounds so good I can't make the break.

If I did, I would probably go with the Roland Bass Cube 100.

4. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Although this will work, I seriously suggest trying it a few times before actually doing it. I've been playing bass as a hobby for about 20 years, and I love the rich sound a combo or mini-stack gives you. This does not have to be a 700 watt kit, but usualy, at 200 watts, you're okay. I also used to work as a sound tech for Solotech in montreal, and I remember the many small kits we installed, either permenantly, or for rental of events, and with many of them, I would not have liked to have only the 45 wedge and side fills to reproduce my sound. For all other musicians, perhaps???, but not bass.

Anyway, this im my opinion. Try it before actually doing it.

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Definitely try this before doing it. I have worked with various Pa in the past. It only makes good sense if you are wokring with a good monitor setup. Either in-ear or something well thought out. 90% of the time this is not the case. If you don't own the PA, I wouldn't do it

6. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    Another loser ideal.

7. CDT

CDT

May 29, 2005
    triad, nc
    it will work fine for low volume situations, but if you play in a band that has any vol. at all, and you have vocals and anything else pumping thru the stage monitors, then you'll probaly not get the low end you want..plus your bandmates might complain that they can't hear you..

8. if your band runs all in ear monitors
    and they are comfortable and you can be tight
    i say go for it
    less stage volume always helps to create good sound