Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Get rid of my Sterling for a Stingray? Need Some Advice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Philthy, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I can use a little advice from those more experienced with musicman basses.

I presently have a Musicman Sterling bass which I bought new 2 years ago. It's in mint condition. I take great care of it and it has a great feel to it and I love it but I just can't seem to get that bottom end punch I'm looking for. I recently just picked up a Stingray 5 string (which is supposed to be electronically exact to a Sterling) and I love the way it sounds. However, my Sterling sounds a bit different then the Stingray 5. The stingray 5 has better, punchier bottom while the Sterling seems to have more high end and boomier bottom. Am I making any sense? Is that just how it is with these basses or is there possibly something wrong with the Sterling Preamp?

Should I get rid of the Sterling and get me a Stingray 4 string? Any advice, opinions, etc. Any advice and input would be greatly appreciated.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What is the body and fingerboard construction of each? Do they both have the three-band?

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The difference is probably in the type of wood and body mass and not in the preamp.

The Stingray is a lot bigger, it has a bigger neck too, that contributes in the tone.

Also, Stingrays and Sterlings can be made of Alder, Poplar or Ash depending on the finish and what they choose. "Selected HARDWOODS" is what they say they use and dont specify wich one for each bass.

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I forgot. The pickup is different too.
    It has bigger magnets, its very difficult to make a 4 string pickup that sounds exactly the same on 5 strings. (Unless its the same pickup in blade type) But for the Ernies, they use polepieces so its different.

5. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    If you are thinking about getting a Stingray 4 or 5 ( 3 band eq ) do yourself a favor and A/B a Ray with and without a piezo before you buy.

6. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    They are both 3 band EQ with maple necks and rosewood fretboards. They are both black finish. So, I assume the wood is the same for both with respects to the body.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If you like the 5 better, do it. Every peice of wood (even the same kind of wood) could have shightly different sonic qualities due the density of that particular peice. Also as Luis stated, "The Stingray is a lot bigger, it has a bigger neck too, that contributes in the tone."

8. toshiya

toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Try to play the Stingray you want for an extended time, the change from the Sterling neck may be a change that may be to much. For me, I couldn't stand the Ray's neck, maybe I need to give it another chance.

9. tjoTim

tjoTim

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio, U.S.A
    To my ear, the Stingray 4 does have more bottom and impact than the Sterling. I like a lot of things about the Sterling better, but I stay with the 'Ray for the sound.

10. I think it depends on the particular StingRay you're playing. My StingRay has more of a ringy-trebley sound to it; this has a lot to do with the wood it's constructed of. I have the Piezo and three EQ options, so these do help. All in all, luck of the draw, some Basses sound different than other Basses.