Get rid of the sticky feeling without removing the finish on the back of the neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B-Mac, Nov 1, 2020.

1. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

I like a thin satin finish for a fast feeling neck. However, of my basses that have a gloss finish on the back of the neck I just can't do the sand paper/steel wool thing...just can't do it.

Jump to time mark 11:20 for an alternative. :)
    I've been looking for this vid forever to post here on TB

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I've been using that for years. It's a great fix for heavy finish necks. It brings an aged poly finish to life, too.

B-Mac likes this.
  3. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    The patron saint of quality footwear.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Taking fine sandpaper to tue backs of new nacks on any bass I get is part of the fun. I love the feel of satin or oil finish.

But if pure carnauba wax gets it done for you....:thumbsup:

Aqualung60, punchybass and M0ses like this.
  5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Re-apply pure carnuba wax after every gig?!?! Sorry, but if I were you I'd get over my aversion to sand paper or steel wool pretty darn quick.

minimal, ZedLepp, TNCreature and 9 others like this.
  6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    yup, sounded good at first, but no. a green scrubby does well enuf

7. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Green scotch bright for me , works great .

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Wet-sand w/ 1500 grit and mineral oil. Clean up with paper towels and naptha. Apply high-quality guitar wax.

Riis

Thegrandwazoo likes this.
  9. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    What about nitrocellulose?

My bass is sticky and I try buffing daily.

been at it for almost 2 months.

Any suggestions?

Green Scotchbrite?

10. MisterUbu

MisterUbu

Feb 25, 2020
    Toronto, Canada
    I usually just go for a blue scotchbrite pad for several passes, in my case unless I feel my hand sticking to the back of the neck glossy finishes aren't something that really bother me as much as they should. The only catch is that you'd have to keep going at it over a period of time because necks tend to get glossy over time

11. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I’ve used Gliptone Carnuba paste wax to get a real slippery waxy feel. Holds up pretty well after 3 - 4 coats as a base. The new Gibson spray wax is also a nice formula but not as slippery.

12. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    400 grit, a few minutes, you're done for a very long time. You don't have to remove the finish, just scratch it real good - the finish on a Fender is so thick there's very little danger of breaking through if you don't work at it too much.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    LetItGrowTone and arbiterusa like this.
  13. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    Just realized that every bass I have has a raw wood neck save for my Steinberger, which doesn’t for obvious reasons.

I’ve only had one instrument where the finish on the neck was annoying, and about 15 minutes with a cabinet scraper fixed that.

14. Spects01

Spects01

Feb 13, 2020
    0000 steel wool
    Quick, easy, effective.

15. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If you don’t want to mess with a gloss neck wipe your left hand down with denatured alcohol before you play. Removing all the skin oils and moisture will stop it from sticking. The tradeoff is dry cracked skin if you play very often.
    I use a worn out green scotchbrite pad. Make a few passes, wipe it down and let it dry then play it. Repeat until you are happy with the result.

Thegrandwazoo and Bass V like this.
  16. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Personally, I find a clean glass neck plays as well as a satin, but yeah, a scotch brite pad will knock the sheen down safely

17. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    Vaseline, or any guitar lubricant (like GHS Fast-Fret for example), will make you glide effortlessly over any neck. It's cheap and it's not messy.

18. Jonathan C

Jonathan C Supporting Member

May 31, 2016
    Holbrook, NY
    Just buy some mineral oil at the pharmacy, it's the same as GHS Fast Fret and some of the other cleaners. I read that here ;)

19. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    Yes, but mineral oil is liquid so it's less convenient.

20. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    Big fan of the USA Lakland style neck treatment. The steps are in the Lakland Owners’ thread on here if you search. I do it to all my basses.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022