1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Get that pinky moving

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by papabear82191, Jun 11, 2011.

1. papabear82191

papabear82191

Jun 1, 2011
  2. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    Nice lesson.
    I myself sufferd from PUDD ( Pinky Under-Development Disorder) for the first few years I played. Same as you I figured I could do without the little guy. It was so small, weak and uncoorperative. I just figured I'd master a 3 finger fretting technique that all would envy.
    Eventually, I could hide no more. My PUDD caused my playing to be limited. Once I realized I needed to use my pinky to realistically progress on bass, I felt like I had to sort of re-learn all the technical work I had done in those first few years of practice. It was real hard trying to get a hold on my PUDD at first but little by little my pinky came around. What a waste it was letting my PUDD hold me back like that.
    Anyone out there convinced they don't need their pinky( so long as they have one), better re-think it.:eyebrow: No one wants to get stuck playing with a PUDD.

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Luckily, I've studied upright bass, so my pinky automatically gets used, usually along with my third finger. That way, I only play three frets with four fingers, until I need to use the third finger by itself. Then, I'm in four-finger mode and covering four frets.

4. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
  5. catyak

catyak

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver, CO
    I'm having a hard time visualizing that. Any drawings or pictures?