Get the 70s SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I started out (This time) with a Trace preamp & Crown power. I heard so much about Ampegs (Owned a 70s B25), I was convinced that the SVT 2pro would do. NOPE! it was the most untogether amp I have ever played into. I had to trade it back to the same dealer, so I had to get the SVT 4pro. This had MUCH more power, but it started to tear up, so I traded it for Eden Pre/Power. I am very happy with Eden, but I still had a hunger for the SVT.
    I found one used (1971). It had some problems, so I got about $200. more into it. I just got it back, Man this thing is as powerful as my 1000 watt Eden, but tubes RULE.

BTW, when I had the SVT 2, I called Ampeg and talked to a tech there. I asked him what Ampeg he used. He said he didn't use Ampeg amps himself.

I would stay away from the Crate-Pegs.
    If you gotta buy new, get the Mesa 400+ if you insist on tubes. Otherwise get an Eden WT amp & put a Sansamp BDDI in front of it.
  2. What was wrong with the SVT-2?
  3. Rockbobmel

It had No Nuts- No Balls!!
  4. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I thought the SVT-2 had pleny O' balls, but the Mesa plain kills it anyway...:D
  5. How about the Aguilar DB728? It's really expensive sure, but it definately sounds great and has more than enough power.

6. I'd bet you wouldn't say that about a 70s SVT in prime condition :D. I was going to buy a 400+ but then I heard the 76 SVT that I eventually bought. No comparison. The 2-Pro isn't a bad amp though. It's just not as SVT as the originals....
  7. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Wasn't this the second repair to the SVT or somthing. Or did you just have it totaly freshend up. Glad to hear you got it back.

I don't mean this to be sarcastic in any way but haveing lived with an SVT in my youth, ALWAYS get help lifting it out of car trunks. That bending over lifting move is deadly. Enjoy!
  8. Rockbobmel

Actually the last was "trip #4". The new caps were bad, and it had a preamp pop. I think it's OK now, (holds breath). I wont gig with it without bringing my Eden too. How ironic, now I am lugging 2 amps.
    I got a light duty case for it, and I think I am going to leave the amp in my trunk (cased). I live on the 3rd floor, nad carrying that sucker up is a killer. I'm going on 48 you know.
  9. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Wow, four trips back to the garage. At some point your SVT will become dependable and it will have been worth the hassel. It's truly a unique amp and I envy you except for those three flights of stairs.