1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Get the Brice or the Dean 6 String Fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MirageBass, Jul 20, 2007.

1. As a spin from this thread, and, as explained why inside, I'm looking for a nice, cheap six-string fretless before I head off to college. Though I was looking at the Brice sutff at Rondo, but I came across a deal to get a Dean Edge 6-String Fretless for about $500... $200 more than the Brice, but, seeing as how I would need to upgrade the Brice electronics regardless, I was wondering if it's good enough of a deal to snatch up.

(Also, does the Dean Edge series have fret markers on the top of the neck? I know the Brice does, but, since this will be my first foray into fretless territory, it might help out a little bit.)

Laura Camacho likes this.
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Dean fretless basses have the markers on the top of the fretboard. In my experience (I have owned a Dean Edge 5 fretless and currently own a Brice V2 6 string fretless) The Dean is a superior instrument in every way. Definitely worth the extra expense.

Laura Camacho likes this.
  3. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I pretty much agree with Phil, the Edge is a far superior bass to the HXB-406, primarily because you really don't need to do anything to it. But at the $500 level I personally would choose the Brice Z6 over the Dean, mostly because I much prefer the string spacing and bigger body.

I have owned and played the Brice Z6, the Brice V2, the Brice HXB-406 and the Dean Edge. Both the Edge and Z6 are much better instruments than the HXB's and the older Brice V2's. For me, if you want wide string spacing and a somewhat larger body, the Brice Z6 is the choice. If you're looking for a slightly smaller body with a bit tighter spacing, the Dean Edge will do the trick .... :cool:

(assuming, of course, that the Brice Z6 is currently in stock as a fretless .... ;) )

4. The Z6 fretless seems to be perpetually out of stock... As far a string spacing, I'll say that of all that I've tried, I like the spacing on my Ged the best. How does this compare to the Dean Edge 6 fretless?

I'll probably order it tonight along with some FretFX LEDs, methinks...

5. Just placed my order for the Dean and some blue FretFX LEDs. I'm gonna hope and pray that the extra cost is worth it, but now I have to start listening to more Steve Bailey.

I actually got the cost of it defrayed as a late graduation gift (god, I love my parents), but I don't see myself needing another bass for a long, long time. Freshman year of college can't come soon enough. :bassist:

6. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Congratulations. If your Dean is as sweet as mine was, you'll never need to upgrade. Seriously. The only reason I went to the Brice was because I wanted to be able to do chords and I found it as a floor model at the old Rondo store for $178.

7. ... Am I led to believe you can't do chords on a Dean? Oh boy.

Thanks, btw.

8. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My Dean was a 5 string, the Brice that replaced it is a 6 string. I wanted the higher string for chords.

9. Hi, I am Trying this 6 string fretless Brice . I only find one of the knobs seems to be doing something to improve tone , not counting the volume knob.
    What upgrades could be done ?
    It's good looking , would be buying used , in new condition .
    Thanks !

Attached Files: