1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Get this Fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MEKer, Mar 7, 2013.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Came across a Washburn XB-100 Pro Fretless bass (unlined but with side markers) in a pawn shop today that I entered on a whim. Cosmetically perfect. So no sweat there. Action was already perfect height for me and pretty low. Not a buzz or dead spot anywhere on it. Fretboard is rosewood looking but just a bit lighter in color than I usually think of rosewood--surprisingly, fretboard showed no wear. Fretboard solidly in place, everything looking good.
    2 pots: front one is Vol and second is Tone. Looks like 1 P-bass Quarterpounder SPB-3.
    Played it for about 20 minutes through a 1x10, old Crate amp--actually sounded good even through that. Feels like the set up was good and the strings felt like half-rounds. Bass itself was very light. Neck solid and straight, bolt-on. Played really easily, fingering accuracy felt as natural as a fretted.
    Price asked was $279.00 + tax puts it about $299.00 and I could do it on a lay-away plan.
    Did not ask about a case--dummy me.

Worth it?

2. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    If you like it (which you obviously do) then I think it is worth it!!

(BYW, I have no idea of the value of this bass!!)

3. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Grosbeak, Yamaha, Fender, BSX. I’m Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    I've seen a used XB-100 at Sam Ash go for $100 before. I've also seen the XB400 series go for around $350 with active EQ. $300 is too much IMO.

4. 20YearNoob

20YearNoob

Mar 29, 2012
    Title "Get this Fretless?"
    huh?

5. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    LOL! You are right! Took out "s and" between fret and board! Error corrected. Thanks, did not even see that contradictory error.:eek:

And yes, the price is too high when you look around on the bay or elsewhere. Wonder if I can get him way down or not?

6. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    You'll have to ask him... not us...