Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GET THOSE KNOBS OFF!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rafterman, Jan 9, 2001.

1. does anyone know how to remove the knobs on a bass...i gotta clean this sucker!!!

2. If there is no visible sign of a screw head or allen head, then they are a push on type. These are removed by pulling them off, but be warned, in many cases they have "frozen" on with the passing of time. Dont stick a screw driver under the knob and attempt to prise it off, you will do mucho damage to your axe. It's better to take it to a guitar tech or luthier for removal.

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    If you take it to a tech, what he may do is use a divot repair tool. You know, those golf thingees that you use when a ball hits the green too hard. That is if they are press on. If they have screws, unscrew them. A tech may be nice and help you out, but some will charge no matter what.

Moral: Divot tool

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Again, here's where filling out a profile would help;)
    What kind of bass?

Also, some knobs with no visible screws have removable top caps so don't pry under the knob unless you're sure they're pressed on to a knurled pot.

5. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    dude, get a spoon and a paper towel. put the paper towel down to protect the body, and put the tip of the spoon underneath the knob. push down on the handle so the knob is lifted upward.

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Great idea. I'll file that one! A spoon on opposite sides of the knob may give a straighter pull.

I have seen two different guitars that someone had glued the knobs on. I destroyed the pot on the first one trying to remove the knob. On the second one I used a Dremel tool and a cut- off wheel to split the knob which then came off in two pieces. I destroyed the knob but that was better than destroying the pot. :)

Pkr2

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dremel tools rule!! that my choice as best Christmas Gift of the year this year to all of my male relations :D.

just thought i'd add that

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    J.T., I agree 100%! I believe that a house can be built with a Dremel tool and enough patience. :)

With the after market attatchments such as the flex shaft and router base it becomes the most "all purpose" tool imaginable.

Speaking of " high tech?" tools, have you seen the TV commercial for the one hand hammer with the nail magazine?
    It looks like something one might get in a box of Cracker Jacks. :) :)

BTW, welcome back. You were missed for a few days.

Pkr2

9. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Another Dremel-dude here. Actually, I have two roto-tools, but they aren't Dremels. I have one set up as a little router, and I use the other one for everything else. I couldn't live without mine now. I got wacked in the face with a cut-off wheel the other day, though.

10. Yep, I swear by my moto-tool(Craftsman). Been using one for 30 years - ever since I was building car models.

Here's a tip to help with the ol' "whacked in the face with the cutoff wheel" routine. Try stacking a couple of the wheels together so they don't flex as much. I've stacked as many as 4 together to do things like cut wide slots or remove a lot of material.

Don't forget to create a good relationship with your dentist. They are the best source in the world for really neat and small burrs and other tools to use in the moto-tool.