Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Get Up Kids....Review

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by RedV, Jun 27, 2002.

1. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Just got home from the Get Up Kids/Hot Rod Circuit show in Orlando.....one word....AMAZING.

I was a little leary of this show because I'd heard good and bad about TGUK live performances and the laid back aura of their new cd, On a Wire. Well, that was all laid to rest during the first three songs.

They came out amidst a slurry of blue lighting and MOOG noises...absolutely gorgeous. They ROCKED OUT two songs from their new cd before going straight into 'Holiday' and blowing the place down. Everyone went nuts...the band was full of energy, the arrangements were some of the tightest I've heard and the transitions between songs were flawless. From the moment they took the stage till I left the building I had a smile on my face...it was THAT good:)

The bass player(his name escapes me at the moment) was playing a white Fender PBass through an Ampeg cab...couldn't see the head, but his tone was very nice, cutting through the mix very well..That's another thing, the mix. A good sound guy and either ruin or amplify a performance...we were lucky and this sound guy was right on.

I've always liked this guys lines and he didn't dissappoint tonight. They ran through what seemed like every song I've ever heard of theirs and didn't skip a beat.(played for an hour and a half)

To end their set they played an older song called 'Don't Hate Me' and totally beat the HELL out of it. It was great.

But after that they came out for an ENCORE!! It was amazing! They came back out and played a song called 'Out of Reach' and went on to play about 5 more songs before finally ending and sending us all on our way.

Well, thanks for listening but I had said in another thread I would post a review after the concert, so here it is. Hopefully it's in the right place; if not, mods, feel free to help me out:)

Good night guys...I need some sleep.

Alex

2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    ive never seen them live,but yes I love the get up kids,havent gotten their new cd cuz i heard that something to write home about is all you need,so i got that one.

the bassplayer plays some good lines,he tends to not follow the chords and goes out on his own,sounds good too.

3. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Yeah, that's why I like him...he stands out without stepping on toes:)

'Something to Write Home About' is definitely their best album, but if you can get a hold of it, 'The Red Letter Day EP' is also very very good.

Alex

4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I have Something to Write Home About and im thinking of buying the Red Letter EP.

5. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Get 'Red Letter EP'..you won't be disappointed:)

Alex

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Because Mass Pike is one of the greatest GetUp Kids songs off of ANY album.

7. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    You sir, are correct:)

Alex

8. Duff_Man182

Duff_Man182

Jul 28, 2001
    Miami,Fl USA
    i saw them when they were in miami...they were allright live. good yes...outstanding not really. hot rod circuit was good, i saw them w/ further seems forever and they were a lot better then but w/e. superchunk was well....they sucked lol. no one really got into them. the get up kids played way too much stuff from the new cd. overall it was pretty good but i expected better.

side note....8 DOLLARS FOR A POSTER!? what the hell is that. i talked to the guy selling them and i got him to gimme one for 4 but still...what a rip

9. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    TGUKs are great I love their new cd and I'm buying the Red Letter Day EP on Vinyl this week.

10. Duff_Man182

Duff_Man182

Jul 28, 2001
    Miami,Fl USA
    NO!!! get "4 minute mile"...its their best cd. if not get "something to write home about".

11. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    I'd say you really couldn't go wrong with any of their cds:)...well, 'cept the last one..lol

TGUK didn't really play all that many songs from their new cd here....maybe 6 out of the 20 or so songs they did. Hot Rod Circuit was really good too, but I agree...Superchunk..well, blew chunks:) NO crowd interaction/response at all.

Oh well, life goes on and it was a killer show in Orlando..will DEFINITELY go see TGUK again.

Alex

12. It's really sad that Superchunk has been reduced to opening for a lesser band. They continue to put out great records, but their primary audience is now 10-12 years older than the average Get Up Kids fan. I was going to go to the show in Norfolk on Saturday, but couldn't justify paying 15 dollors to see Superchunk play for 30 minutes and then leave.

13. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Ahhh, but Mr. West; the concept of 'lesser band' is all in the eye of the beholder. It's great that you like Superchunk and all, but as far as them being a superior band to TGUK, that's purely subjective.

Matter of fact, for my tastes, I didn't care for them at all. This performance, the band was loose, no one seemed really together, they didn't even have a set list(Hot Rod Circuit guitarist brought one out to them mid show:rolleyes: ).

But this is in my opinion and I surely can appreciate yours. Superchunk may have been a great band x years ago, but today for my tastes(and apparently a few others) they weren't.

Maybe if you could point out some of their better songs I could 'acquire' them and give 'em a listen:) Always open to new ideas.

Good day, guys.

Alex

14. That's what I meant to say. Check out "Here's Where the Strings Come In." If you want to hear individual songs, try Hyper Enough, Driveway to Driveway, Like a Fool, Precision Auto, Slack Motherf**ker.

15. Duff_Man182

Duff_Man182

Jul 28, 2001
    Miami,Fl USA
    actually superchunk played like an hour set at my show....it was brutal =(

16. grindmore

grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    brooklyn
    'ann arbour' and 'a newfound interst in massachusetts' and their best songs. the bassist really shines on both. pick up their 1st ep woodson and four minute mile before anything.

17. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Hey, Matthew, Thanks!

I'm gonna go get those songs right now and check 'em out.

Alex