1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getaway/Earth Wind,and Fire

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 73jbass, Aug 5, 2007.

1. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I have this one as an audition piece in about a week,and listening to it,it sounds like 2 different bass parts.I found a live video of the song,and sure enough,there were 2 bass players. There are the root quarter notes,then there is the popping which is not real hot in the mix. I guess I need to find out some info from anybody that has played this one in a band setting. Did you stick to the root notes,or mix up the root and pop/slap techique? Thanks for the help!

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Learn both parts. On most of these types of tunes you are going to be best served holding down the bottom while offering-up the higher slap parts in the real "money spots" in the tune....a balancing act if you will. Often you will find the guitar or keys covering those higher bass hooks as well but you never know. With EW&F stuff it's always an adventure!! BE PREPARED!!

3. Hi mate -

I learnt this song by ear (it's one of their best pieces) & ended up combining the two parts you talk of.

You have to keep that pop going in the verses - it sounds great, but also that descending run into the F etc.

I'll jump on Protools when I get home tonight & record my version (warning : not an awesome bassist).

I assume you're only interested in those verse bits? Everything else (into & choruses) only have a single bassline...

4. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    You pretty much nailed it on the head. Great stuff. Too bad nobody writes dance music this good anymore.I'm probably the unfunkiest white boy on the planet,and since slap bass isn't my favorite technique,any help is greatly appreciated!

5. Gah - terrible quality as I really rushed (had a crap S/N ratio), but enough for you to get the idea.

Make sure you get the order of the pops right (unlike me), it's always from Eflat -> F or vice versa...it changes around each time. I don't think there is any slapping in the song.

vbtf.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    From the same album as "Getaway"(Spirit)-
    "Saturday Night" has a similar thing happening: Overdubbed 2nd bass part doing some 'pops'.
    "Shining Star" is another example(from That's The Way Of The World).

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

Sounded damn good to me!

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Whoa! :eyebrow:

Listen closely.....

9. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    When did EWF get 2 bass players??? Does Verdine know about this??? What you hear is a few overdubbed pops. No big deal to cover if you have even moderate slap skills. The guys who bashed slap in another thread should read this. LOL

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

They've been using Morris Pleasure or a 'ghost' bassist (or sequenced sample) live for years! Sadly, Verdine doesn't play much live these days. He dances around way too much and his hand stays in the same position all night. It's all about the 'show'! It's also common knowledge that Verdine overdubbed a lot when they recorded.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I don't mind the overdubbed bass parts...at all.
    What's going on during the live shows, however, is a different story.
    Someone highly recommended the EW&F "Live In Concert" DVD (looks like it's late '90s or so...possibly in Japan).

Verdine's hands are not matching what's coming out of the speakers...I was bummed.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have that same one. He was definitely not playing! Hellova drum solo by Sonny Emory, though!!

13. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I tried to find some videos of him actually playing something interesting,but came up empty. Sorry,but not impressed with him as a bass player at all.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wow...Verdine is a bad muther. Don't let my comments about EW&F's recent shows mislead you.
    IIRC, there are some early EW&F footage at youtube.

...and check out the early recordings (from their debut to maybe All In All).

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You have to listen to his whole recorded catalog to appreciate what he's contributed to R&B bass playing. While he may not be technically a 'great' bassist, he was damn good at supplying the perfect basslines to Maurice White's songs! Very creative, inventive and his use of harmonic content (not false harmonics) added quite a lot to enhance some quite simple, but wonderful songwriting, IMO. In addition, he is probably one of the greatest 'showman/bassists' ever! Extremely powerful stage presence!

16. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I seen EWF concert in Jackson, Miss. in the '70s. Graham Central Station was the warmup... MISTAKE!!!!! http://[malware url removed].net/music-smiley-7524.gif(never follow up GCS!):D