gettin a new bass soon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by amused2KAOS, May 6, 2005.

1. amused2KAOS

Apr 22, 2005
    well i love this bass that i have had for all my life (used to be my dad's, he got it about 25 years ago) its a yamaha bb300. sounds great for jazz, but the problem is that in my band we dont really have use for a jazz style bass (we're a metal band). in my other band we play a load of styles and my friends bass (ibanez sound gear with bass boost,dont know the model name) sounds so awesome,especcially popping and slapping. when he first plugged that bass into my bass amp and played one of our songs (and since were a joke band, we called that song "slap it!" :p ) i almost had an orgasm, it sounds so great! my other friend also says (in his own words)"you can never go wrong with an ibanez". i kinda want a more high end bass though (300-500 dollars) and i was thinking about maybe getting a fender jazz bass (kinda ironic) but im not sure yet. i want a bass that has two pickups (prefferablly humbuckers, at least at the brigde) and one that still sounds good even when the tuning is dropped to almost astronomical proportions, (ok so its drop C) or a five string will do. i have been thinking about a geddy lee jazz bass, but unfortunately i dont have that much money to spend.

in conclusion, the bass that i want is as follows

1. a midrange priced bass (300-500 dollars)
    2. 2 pickups (preferabally humbuckers)
    3. capability of low tunings, or a five string
    4. (and im being extremely vague :bag: ) great tone

i was also thinking about the OLP stingray copy, if it sounds anything like a normal stingray.
  2. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Tell your friend hes wrong, you can go wrong with an Ibanez in my oppinion. I think they have good low end basses but their high end stuff is OK. I think that Ibanez is deffinately entry level equpitment , very mediocre
  3. amused2KAOS

Apr 22, 2005
    ya thats what i think too, i think that some ibanez's are good. especially theie guitars. i have a GAX70 which is like an SG knock off, but i love the sound of it, and i lve the feel. my friend in both my bands (whos a CRAZY guitarist, he is so good) loves my guitar over an epiphone SG, which he thinks has a crappy feel and crappy sound, and his own guitar. he has an ESP f-250 and he thinks that my gutar has a better feel when doing solos andhe's able to move faster on it, but he thinks his guitar sounds better.i dont blame him. but i dont relly like the cheesiness of an ibanez. im just thinking about getter a midrange bass so that i dont get bored of it or dont like the sound or action.
  4. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    How about an ESP/LTD F series? They're not too pricey, have a 'metal' look that's ergonomic, the 4-strings all have a 35" scale, Bass Player tested one and tuned it BEAD with good results, and the brand has consistent quality across the board.

Or if you're not averse to buying used, comb the used market for a nice instrument.

Good luck.
  5. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    G&L Tribute? 2 buckers, should be available used in that pricerange.
  6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    thank,s man,thanks..i want a four strings with 35, thank..i love :hyper:
  7. timinator

May 8, 2005
    Take a look around for a Peavey Millenium... I recently saw a used one with 35" scale, 3 band eq, MM/J pickups, and detuner on the E string for $320 at a shop.

Also, I've heard bad feedback on that OLP bass. As far as Jazz basses go, mine is a passive Frankenbass that howls and Jason used a Jazz rig when he had the Metallica gig (even though they were from Sadowski). TRY EVERYTHING YOU CAN and good luck.
  8. amused2KAOS

Apr 22, 2005
    i decided to get a MIM J bass. i loved the sound of it over a couple of basses. i tried a fretless thumb that was pretty cool (unfortunately it was out of price range about 150 bux) i tried this one bass that i forgot the name of. it has a p bass pickup in the middle and a J bass pick up at the brigde. and just for the hell of it i tried a stingray. it was pretty awesome, even though i couldnt figure out which knob did what in the couple minutes that i tried so i couldnt get the sound i wanted from it. what i loved was how helpful and friendly the guys were. i would be playin a bass and i would put it down and they would be like "hey, did you check out this fretless over here" and i would say " you know what, ive always wanted to try a fretless but that bass is out of my price range." and theyd say "eeh, just try it dude you got to!". right before i started playing it the guy said something like pink floyd uses some fretless basses (even though ive only seen roger waters with a p bass with the pickup and brigde gaurds, but you can tell that he uses a fretless on hey you) so just to humor him i start playing "money" and he laughs.when i plugged in the stingray it wouldnt make any sound, and i was kinda worried that i broke something (even though i just picked it up, but when you plug in a thousand dollar bass and nothing happens you tend to feel a little uneasy) so they guy picks it up and checks it out and says "maybe the battery's dead (he pops open the battery compartment and finds that there is no battery inside) or somebody stole the battery!". one of the major reasons why i chose the jazz bass was because the guy told me that he owns a jazz bass and plays alot of the same stuff as me so i asked him how it sounds in lower tunings and he said "it sounds great, i have it in drop C at my house right now!" i knew right then that it was meant to be.
  9. amused2KAOS

Apr 22, 2005
    thanks for telling me, im glad i didnt get it. if it sounded like a stingray then i would've gotten it in a heart beat (imagine, a 250 stingray :cool:, only in a perfect world)